Dec 26, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT
Did you all have a good Chirstmas? I hope so. Hope you got what you wanted.
Anyway, the week between Christmas and New Years is the deadest of the dead in baseball circles. The only thing you get a lot of are Hall of Fame columns because ballots are due by December 31. And they really are the gift that keeps on giving. Mostly because of stuff like this from Ron Chimelis, who has a Hall of Fame vote:
- “The Crime Dog is tied with Lou Gehrig in home runs with 493. Lou Gehrig!”
- “Tim Raines. My first instinct was to vote for Raines, who ranks fifth all-time in steals with 808. Unlike saves, steals have been been meaningful for 140 years. Raines had six straight 70-steal seasons … But if Raines gets in because he is fifth in steals, what about Vince Coleman, who is sixth? That’s why I talked myself out of it.”
I don’t think it requires being a super saber stat nerd to point out that comparing McGriff and Gehrig based on their home run totals and Raines and Coleman based on their stolen base totals is less than illuminating. Unless of course you believe that Ted Williams shouldn’t have made it because he had fewer hits than Johnny Damon.
I know. It’s gonna be a long week. Just drink lots of fluids and stuff. We’ll get through this. Together.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)