Dec 26, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT
Did you all have a good Chirstmas? I hope so. Hope you got what you wanted.
Anyway, the week between Christmas and New Years is the deadest of the dead in baseball circles. The only thing you get a lot of are Hall of Fame columns because ballots are due by December 31. And they really are the gift that keeps on giving. Mostly because of stuff like this from Ron Chimelis, who has a Hall of Fame vote:
- “The Crime Dog is tied with Lou Gehrig in home runs with 493. Lou Gehrig!”
- “Tim Raines. My first instinct was to vote for Raines, who ranks fifth all-time in steals with 808. Unlike saves, steals have been been meaningful for 140 years. Raines had six straight 70-steal seasons … But if Raines gets in because he is fifth in steals, what about Vince Coleman, who is sixth? That’s why I talked myself out of it.”
I don’t think it requires being a super saber stat nerd to point out that comparing McGriff and Gehrig based on their home run totals and Raines and Coleman based on their stolen base totals is less than illuminating. Unless of course you believe that Ted Williams shouldn’t have made it because he had fewer hits than Johnny Damon.
I know. It’s gonna be a long week. Just drink lots of fluids and stuff. We’ll get through this. Together.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)