Meet MLB’s new chief of security

Dec 26, 2011, 12:30 PM EST

Clinton Lewinsky

Back in October we passed along word that MLB had hired a new security chief. He’s Bill Bordley, who once had a cup of coffee for the San Francisco Giants back in 1980 and then went on to become a Secret Service agent.

Today’s Washington Post has a feature on him and his background. Including the time, when he was assigned to President Clinton, that “a raven-haired young lady who did not have the proper credential” showed up at the Oval Office and wanted to see old Bill.  Yeah, it was Lewinsky:

… and yes, as Bordley himself would be quoted in Sect. IV (A) of the Report of the Independent Counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives, the president eventually interceded and told Bordley it was okay for her to come in. According to the report, Bordley noted that she exited the Oval Office an hour later.

So, baseball Annies: beware. Or at least make sure the player you’re there to meet can intercede on your behalf.

1. test2402 - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Should have hired Tim Tebow.

2. clydeserra - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM

One of your readers went to school with this guy and posted that tidbit months ago when he was hired.

• tuftsb - Dec 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

i wrote about Bill Bordley on October 12th, detailing his Starr Report mention and more. Nice to see that the crack WaPo columnists were on the case, albeit 76 days later

3. cur68 - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Ah, Bill Clinton’s bodyguard is it? Neat. I wonder if he can keep Bud from being impeached, too? Actually, young women visiting Bud would probably be in the neighborhood of “crime against humanity” rather than “lying to Congress about congress”. Methinks your man Bordley has a much more important job now.

• Old Gator - Dec 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I didn’t know that Monica Lewinski was in the Special Forces.

• Roger Moore - Dec 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Technically, Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives; impeachment is the equivalent of being indicted. He just wasn’t convicted by the Senate. And it was for lying (technically giving evasive and misleading answers) to a grand jury, not to Congress. Bud Selig was the one who made eggregious lies to Congress when he said MLB was in terrible financial shape and a bunch of teams would go bankrupt without a salary cap.

• Old Gator - Dec 26, 2011 at 4:06 PM

At least they didn’t get them for hemming and hawwing. Bonds was convicted on that count.

• cur68 - Dec 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Technically, as a Canadian, the Byzantine nature of your political structure, discourse, recourse, and intercourse is all the same to me. Besides, how else to get a nice little pun on the word “congress”? FWIW, thanks for the info. I bet a goodly portion of your local citizenry didn’t know that either. Make sure you point out to them that Iraq had nothing to do with bombing your country, that your president was born there, and that your border security is designed to inconvenience the average person as opposed to people who mean you and yours harm. There’s a goodly number of your citizens who seem to be a bit vague on some of that stuff. Salut.

• Old Gator - Dec 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Well, Cur, one thing you must admit: thanks to our alert and fearless TSA, those Al Qeda bastards will never be able to sneak onto an airplane any IED disguised as a cupcake. Can your border security say that? Huh?

• cur68 - Dec 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM

My border security was adroit at inconveniencing the average person for toothpaste, mouthwash, nail clippers, and being unable to speak English for dozens and dozens of years: long before America conceived of full body scans and were introduced to plastique in one’s nether garments. True, it was a low level of inconvenience, often described as “chickenshit”, but it’s since reached new heights of vigor with all the extra “security” laid on. Frankly, I don’t know what’s worse: trying to clear customs into Canuckistan with a limited English vocabulary or spending an hour in the Oval Office with Bill Clinton. No matter what, some form of congress will be had with your person.

• Old Gator - Dec 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Last Monday, my security forces nabbed me with two tubes of Glier’s Goetta and five packets of Gold Star and Skyline chili mix at Cincinnatti airport. Because there was no strawberry frosting on these items that resembled gelignite or semtex, they sniffed them a couple of times and let me through. Tough, but reasonable. I applaud them.

4. birdman6824 - Dec 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM

OG When you run out (already?) – post it and I’ll send you more

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

You’re on. That stupid “taste of Cincinnati” web site wants fifty five bucks to send the stuff via Fedex overnight – what a load of crap.

I also scored a pound and a half slab of deli-made goetta at Finley Street Market this past trip. That, predictably, went first. Then my wife fed half a tube of the new Glier’s turkey goetta (it doesn’t hold together well – fries up more like corned beef hash, but tastes great and is a wee bit kinder to my arteries) to the dogs, mistaking it for that Fresh-Pet dog food tube. I love her but that really hurt. That leaves me with one full tube of the regular stuff and one half tube of the turkey stuff.

I’m OK with the chili mix for the time being. I once – really – made a batch of Skyline with a $65 pound of Kobe beef. It didn’t taste appreciably different from ground round. I wanted to take a special yoga class so I could learn to kick myself in the ass for doing anything so stupid.

But so far my favorite Cincinnati chili is Camp Washington, and they don’t sell their mix. Now if you want to freeze me a block of that magical stuff and commit it to the airways, I will reward you handsomely. Craig can give you my email address. I can pay for it and respond by sending you an assortment of Macondo’s finest Cuban goodies.

5. foreverchipper10 - Dec 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I would love to bong a beer with wild Bill.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I’d prefer to go out tomming with him. He clearly knows how to get in and out of the white trash trailer parks where the chicks are easy, if not necessarily well washed, without getting photographed.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester