Dec 26, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
Hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach last week, Bob McClure said during a radio interview yesterday that his philosophy is to “kick ass and win” in Boston.
McClure also said that he likes the idea of Daniel Bard coming into spring training with plans to compete for a rotation spot, because switching back to a relief workload is relatively painless.
As the Royals’ pitching coach McClure worked with both Joakim Soria and Kyle Farnsworth as starters in camp, eventually shifting them to the bullpen with plenty of success. In addition to Bard the Red Sox will also give Alfredo Aceves the opportunity to claim a rotation spot.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)