Pitching coach Bob McClure ready to “kick ass and win” in Boston

Dec 26, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT

mcclure getty wide Getty Images

Hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach last week, Bob McClure said during a radio interview yesterday that his philosophy is to “kick ass and win” in Boston.

McClure also said that he likes the idea of Daniel Bard coming into spring training with plans to compete for a rotation spot, because switching back to a relief workload is relatively painless.

As the Royals’ pitching coach McClure worked with both Joakim Soria and Kyle Farnsworth as starters in camp, eventually shifting them to the bullpen with plenty of success. In addition to Bard the Red Sox will also give Alfredo Aceves the opportunity to claim a rotation spot.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I don’t understand this comment at all by Bob McClure “…likes the idea of Daniel Bard coming into spring training with plans to compete for a rotation spot,..”.

As best I can tell right now the Red Sox are heading into pre-season with just 3 starters in their rotation (Beckett, Lester and Buchholz). Who is Bard competing against? Competing in my opinion implies there is an open competition. There are at least 2 spots open in the Sox starting rotation and aside from Bard and I guess if you want to consider Aceves (who I don’t believe is a starter) there aren’t any other realistic candidates as of right now for the rotation.

• cur68 - Dec 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Hi there UFY, I hope you had a good Christmas? In answer to your query I think, given the way Bard struggles with the strike zone etc, I think he’s competing with himself. If this were a Michael Jackson Moment, I’d say he’s looking at the man in the mirror and asking him to change his ways…good luck with that, Mr. Bard.

• uyf1950 - Dec 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Hello my friend. I had a very nice Christmas. How about you?

Makes sense about it being an internal competition for Bard. I have to say I’m still very surprised that basically we are in the New Year now and the Red Sox have done virtually nothing to address their issues on the field. They still need at least one but probably more realistically 2 starters, a “real” closer and decide what they are going to do with RF. And all of that still doesn’t address the fact they have not gotten full seasons out of either Youkilis or Buchholz 2 players they absolutely need to perform above and beyond the call of duty in 2012.

At least that’s my opinion.

• cur68 - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM

My Christmas has been duller than dishwater: I am setting a land speed record for sleeping in. Very relaxing.

If the Sox plan on making the AL East an underdog’s paradise, they’re going about it exactly the right way. I suspect they’d tell all that they HAVE made substantial changes. Perhaps they feel that by getting rid of “deadwood” like Epstein & Francona they’ll be “better” and offset the loss of Papelbon with up and coming internal candidates. They certainly have plenty of talent in Elsbury & Pedroia, but they must be expecting a serious bounce back from Crawford and for Ortiz to never grow old & lose his skills. As for Youkalis, better get him a truss if they plan to get a full season out of him. Things better start happening to shore up that rotation & add some bats soon, otherwise its gonna be a long season of the Boston press eviscerating them next year.

• uyf1950 - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

cur68, my friend to quote George Burns “Everything that goes up must come down. But there comes a time when not everything that’s down can come up”.

It’s certainly possible that Crawford will have a better year in 2012 than 2011. How much better is the question.

It’s also more than possible that Ellsbury’s numbers will come back down to earth. Probably offsetting whatever upside Crawford is able to muster.

But we’ll see.

2. mojosmagic - Dec 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM

It doesn’t matter much because Bobby Valentine was the wrong choice to manage in Boston. Valentine knows baseball but it’s always about himself and a he creates a circus atmosphere at every stop. Bobby is the anti Tito who at least tried to keep things quiet in Boston.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3306)