Dec 26, 2011, 4:23 PM EDT
Ever since Hiroki Kuroda came off the notion of playing of the Dodgers or no one else — and that he’d be willing to take a one-year deal someplace — it has been widely speculated that the Yankees would be in on that action. It just makes so much sense. They could use a good starter. Neither side wants a big commitment. It’s like a friends with benefits thing or something.
But not so fast says Wally Matthews of ESPN New York. He hears from sources that the Yankees don’t want to incur any more luxury tax overages and thus won’t bid on Kuroda. Rather, to the extent they have any interest, it’s phony:
Assuming the person is telling me the truth – and I am — any Yankee “interest” in Kuroda is probably designed to drive up the price for the Red Sox.
Know what’s gonna be cute? When the Red Sox are still playing these little cold war games while the Rangers and Angels are cruising to the best records in the American League. It’ll be like England and France arguing over Brittany while the Soviets and the Americans send people into outer space.
OK, maybe that’s overstating it. I’m just bored today and there’s no Phillies news with which to troll anyone. Trolling Yankees and Red Sox fans is a way, way, way distant second place, but it’ll have to do for now.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)