Yorvit Torrealba issues apology for umpire attack in Venezuela

Dec 26, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Yorvit Torrealba shoved an umpire in the face last Friday while playing for his hometown Leones del Caracas in the Venezuelan winter league. The league announced a 66-game suspension earlier today, which covers the rest of this winter league season and carries into next season.

You can watch video of the attack here.

According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Torrealba issued a statement earlier today apologizing for his actions.

“I wanted to express my sincere apologies to all parties for my actions during the Venezuelan Winter League game on Friday. I have extended an apology to the Rangers organization as well. I am embarrassed for my conduct, and personally relayed that feeling to the umpire after that night’s game. On the field, I strive to be an example for children, especially those in my native Venezuela, and I regret my actions. I understand the reactions to the incident and will make every effort to set a positive example in the future.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Saturday that he was looking into the matter, but it’s not clear if Torrealba will face any discipline from the team.

1. randygnyc - Dec 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Not. Good. Enough!!!

2. humanexcrement - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM

So when an umpire makes a bad call, that’s just part of life, and we should all accept it. When a player makes a mistake, however, it’s always the player’s fault and the umpire can do whatever he wants. Fuck the douchebag umpire, if he was doing his job, Torrealba wouldn’t have had to beat his ass. He got exactly what he deserved.

• Old Gator - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM

You’ve really set out to lower the level of discourse here to that of a barroom parking lot, haven’t you?

• redbirdfan81 - Dec 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

You are an idiot! If you are a man, your manhood has been rebuked. Have you ever heard of sportsmanship? What about dealing with adversity? What about not blaming others for your own actions? He has 3 strikes to do something and can swing at balls too. He’s not a great player and he takes it out on the umpire. Seriously? Would you please get a life and get off the internet? We don’t need your kind on here anymore. And please, PLEASE don’t go to ball games!

3. randygnyc - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

This may prove to be a million dollar punch. I’m sure the MLB umpires will act in solidarity with this umpire in mind. I’ll bet torreabla wont be getting the benefit of doubt on any close calls this year, either batting or catching. I wonder how that will effect his stats and subsequent contract negotiations?

• 78mu - Dec 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Do you think all the Rangers pitchers will be anxious to have him catch when it’s their turn to pitch?

• randygnyc - Dec 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I wouldn’t. I think this has a massive, detrimental effect on his career.

4. spytdi - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Was that translated into Spanish for the VZ ump?

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3802)