Dec 27, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
Newsday’s Ken Davidoff has released his Hall of Fame ballot. It’s good for the people he picks, all of whom I’d either pick myself or who are extremely defensible choices even if I differ: Barry Larkin, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro.
The real value of his column, however, is not his choices — lots of dudes have good ballots — but the way in which he explains his choices and his methodology in detail.
Davidoff goes over every guy on the ballot, giving him his due or whatever approaching his due he is owed. He offers a ton of great insight about how he approaches the ballot. Lots of wisdom in there about defense, era, steroids and, above all else, how our contemporaneous perceptions and memories of a player don’t serve us well. Those memories and feelings lie and, even if you’re afraid of stats, you simply can’t ignore them because they state what actually occurred.
Anyone who wants to argue about the Hall of Fame should read Davidoff’s column.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)