Dec 27, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Greg Dobbs is a decent role player and has drawn interest from several teams as a free agent, including the Nationals.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that re-signing Dobbs is the Marlins’ “main objective” right now and “the team is hoping to finalize a deal soon.”
And then Frisaro starts laying it on pretty thick with praise, writing that Dobbs “enjoyed a highly productive 2011″ and re-signing him “would cap a highly productive month of December for the Marlins.”
Meanwhile, in reality the “highly productive” Dobbs is a 33-year-old career-long bench player who hit .275 with a .311 on-base percentage and .389 slugging percentage in a career-high 439 plate appearances while posting a terrible 83/22 K/BB ratio.
He also hit .189 in 2010 and has batted a combined .251 with a .294 on-base percentage and .375 slugging percentage during the past three seasons. Dobbs will likely get a modest one-year deal.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games