Dec 27, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that R.A. Dickey is going to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro next month. Why? Because he’s awesome. And he has always wanted to. And because he’s going to promote a charity that helps victims of sex trafficking in India, which in turn makes him awesome again, and that’s before we even get to the fact that he’s a knuckleballer.
There’s a good story about Dickey’s quest in the Wall Street Journal today. Complete with a picture of him jogging in an oxygen deprivation mask to train, which is scary/wonderful. And complete with “the Mets brass is really worried about it and have sent him a letter threatening to void his contract if he hurts himself on the mountain” goodness:
“If we thought it was a good idea, we wouldn’t have sent the letter,” Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said. “Beyond that, have we tried to dissuade him from going? It seems to me that the letter is enough of an effort to dissuade him, and he intends to go on nonetheless.”
You can understand the Mets’ position — there are details in the article about the small but real risks Dickey faces on his trek — but I can’t help but think that, when he is an old man, Dickey will remember being on top of Kilimanjaro more fondly than he will remember hitting the treadmill in his Nashville home while counting the days to spring training.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona