Dec 28, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: A few minutes ago Brian Cashman said that it wasn’t just A-Rod’s knee that got the German engineering treatment. It was his left shoulder too. Here’s a full report on it all.
So, to sum up: the guy who is still owed $143 million over six years to play third base for the Yankees is basically fallin’ apart. So that’s nice.
9:43 AM: The New York Post reports what the above headline says: Alex Rodriguez — on the recommendation of Kobe Bryant of all people — recently traveled to Germany for experimental therapy on his troublesome knee. The treatment, called Orthokine, proceeds thusly:
Orthokine involves taking blood from the patient’s arm and spinning it in a centrifuge, a machine used in laboratories to spin objects around a fixed axis. The serum is then injected into the affected area — in this case, Rodriguez’s knee.
No one knows if it works or anything, but that hasn’t stopped athletes before. The key takeaway here is that Rodriguez actually cleared this with Major League Baseball and the Yankees, thereby heading off the kind of criticism Bartolo Colon got for his blood-spinning therapy last year.
Of course, this is A-Rod we’re talking about, so someone is still going to criticize him. It’s just sort of how things roll with him. We should make a contest out of it: first writer or talk radio dude to imply that there must be something wrong or illegal about it all will be presented with a major award. Anyone who uses the fact that it took place in Germany to make some hamfisted “Boys From Brazil” reference will get extra credit for A-Rod rhetoric above and beyond the usual call of duty.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 30
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 83
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 88
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)