Dec 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
Grant Brisbee of SBN goes after the “Edgar Martinez is not a Hall of Famer” crowd by reminding people that, yo, the DH has been part of the game for 38 years now, so they have to be Hall of Fame eligible. Brisbee’s hypotheticals which illuminate the silliness of the notion that DHs should not be in Cooperstown are worth a look. Particularly the one which holds that Mariano Rivera shouldn’t make it because, hey, he couldn’t hack it as a starter.
My guess is that the response to this by an anti-Martinez voter would be “hey, DHs should be eligible, but they gotta be WAY better than any other hitters.” To them I’d ask what such a hitter would look like. Because Martinez was a friggin’ beast.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 38
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (165)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)