Dec 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Grant Brisbee of SBN goes after the “Edgar Martinez is not a Hall of Famer” crowd by reminding people that, yo, the DH has been part of the game for 38 years now, so they have to be Hall of Fame eligible. Brisbee’s hypotheticals which illuminate the silliness of the notion that DHs should not be in Cooperstown are worth a look. Particularly the one which holds that Mariano Rivera shouldn’t make it because, hey, he couldn’t hack it as a starter.
My guess is that the response to this by an anti-Martinez voter would be “hey, DHs should be eligible, but they gotta be WAY better than any other hitters.” To them I’d ask what such a hitter would look like. Because Martinez was a friggin’ beast.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)