Dec 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Grant Brisbee of SBN goes after the “Edgar Martinez is not a Hall of Famer” crowd by reminding people that, yo, the DH has been part of the game for 38 years now, so they have to be Hall of Fame eligible. Brisbee’s hypotheticals which illuminate the silliness of the notion that DHs should not be in Cooperstown are worth a look. Particularly the one which holds that Mariano Rivera shouldn’t make it because, hey, he couldn’t hack it as a starter.
My guess is that the response to this by an anti-Martinez voter would be “hey, DHs should be eligible, but they gotta be WAY better than any other hitters.” To them I’d ask what such a hitter would look like. Because Martinez was a friggin’ beast.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 49
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15