Dec 29, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
By trading Josh Reddick to the A’s yesterday the Red Sox seemingly cleared the way for Ryan Kalish to take over as their starting right fielder at some point in 2012, but whether he’s in the minors or majors Kalish will likely begin the season on the disabled list.
Kalish missed most of 2011 with injuries and had neck surgery in September, and now Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the 23-year-old outfielder also underwent left shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum on November 8.
Kalish indicated that no official timetable has been established for his return yet, but Abraham speculates that he won’t be ready for game action until at least May and would presumably have to put together a good stretch at Triple-A before a call-up to Boston was an option.
He initially injured the shoulder while attempting to make a diving catch at Triple-A in April and later experienced neck problems related to the shoulder issues.
Boston acquired Ryan Sweeney as part of yesterday’s Andrew Bailey-for-Josh Reddick swap and starting him in right field versus right-handed pitching while finding a platoon partner to knock around left-handed pitching makes sense regardless of Kalish’s status.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)