Dec 29, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
By trading Josh Reddick to the A’s yesterday the Red Sox seemingly cleared the way for Ryan Kalish to take over as their starting right fielder at some point in 2012, but whether he’s in the minors or majors Kalish will likely begin the season on the disabled list.
Kalish missed most of 2011 with injuries and had neck surgery in September, and now Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the 23-year-old outfielder also underwent left shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum on November 8.
Kalish indicated that no official timetable has been established for his return yet, but Abraham speculates that he won’t be ready for game action until at least May and would presumably have to put together a good stretch at Triple-A before a call-up to Boston was an option.
He initially injured the shoulder while attempting to make a diving catch at Triple-A in April and later experienced neck problems related to the shoulder issues.
Boston acquired Ryan Sweeney as part of yesterday’s Andrew Bailey-for-Josh Reddick swap and starting him in right field versus right-handed pitching while finding a platoon partner to knock around left-handed pitching makes sense regardless of Kalish’s status.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)