Dec 29, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
On Christmas Eve, while you were all drinking too much and having passive aggressive interactions with your families, Bob Nightengale reported that the Athletics’ long-awaited move to San Jose was finally poised to be approved by Major League Baseball.
Only one problem: no one seems to have informed the Giants about this, and at least one member of the Giants ownership group — former managing partner Peter Magowan, who was interviewed by Susan Slusser — seems to think that Bud Selig will never let the A’s move to San Jose because of multiple promises he made the Giants:
“I’d be amazed that, with all the public reassurances we’ve received from Bud Selig over the years, he would change his mind on this matter,” Magowan said. “He’s a man of his word, a man of integrity, and he has been clear and direct in the past about reaffirming our territorial rights. It’s hard to see how he would not be bound by what he’s said, as many times as he has been on the record in support of those rights.”
I’m sure that Selig just loves to have one of his former owners telling a major daily newspaper that the outcome of all of this is that he is either (a) ineffective as a leader; or (b) a liar. People in Selig’s position just adore it when people who wouldn’t be where they are now publicly back you into a corner like that.
Anyway, Slusser also reports that the A’s move will not be on the agenda at the upcoming owners’ meetings, so who knows. It’s unclear whether Selig putting a hit out on Magowan will be on the agenda.
He can do that, right? He’s pretty powerful.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)