Dec 29, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
On Christmas Eve, while you were all drinking too much and having passive aggressive interactions with your families, Bob Nightengale reported that the Athletics’ long-awaited move to San Jose was finally poised to be approved by Major League Baseball.
Only one problem: no one seems to have informed the Giants about this, and at least one member of the Giants ownership group — former managing partner Peter Magowan, who was interviewed by Susan Slusser — seems to think that Bud Selig will never let the A’s move to San Jose because of multiple promises he made the Giants:
“I’d be amazed that, with all the public reassurances we’ve received from Bud Selig over the years, he would change his mind on this matter,” Magowan said. “He’s a man of his word, a man of integrity, and he has been clear and direct in the past about reaffirming our territorial rights. It’s hard to see how he would not be bound by what he’s said, as many times as he has been on the record in support of those rights.”
I’m sure that Selig just loves to have one of his former owners telling a major daily newspaper that the outcome of all of this is that he is either (a) ineffective as a leader; or (b) a liar. People in Selig’s position just adore it when people who wouldn’t be where they are now publicly back you into a corner like that.
Anyway, Slusser also reports that the A’s move will not be on the agenda at the upcoming owners’ meetings, so who knows. It’s unclear whether Selig putting a hit out on Magowan will be on the agenda.
He can do that, right? He’s pretty powerful.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 29
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 55
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)