The IRS sued Hal Steinbrenner

Dec 29, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT

Hal Steinbrenner

The IRS has sued Hal Steinbrenner and his wife, seeking $670,000 back in a refund that the feds now claim was given erroneously. You can read about all the details here.

That’s less than the Yankees paid Boone Logan last year, by the way, so I’m guessing this one will be settled pretty quickly.

1. bozosforall - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Only loser New England sports fans will care about this non-story.

• paperlions - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Be quiet, Hal.

• bozosforall - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM

You be quiet, Boston loser.

• paperlions - Dec 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I’ve never been to Boston, I’ll be sure to let you know if I ever visit.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Jesus Christ, you are a fucking psychotic scumbag.

Kill yourself. Now. No one will care, trust me.

• smokehouse56 - Dec 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Hey potty mouth, you’re a loser.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Two of my least favorite things: the IRS and the Steinbrenner family.

The IRS wins this round, though.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I’ll save those interested in the issue. The reason Hal Steinbrenner is being sued is basically because of what I would call a technicality. He filed the amended return 6 months to late. And the Gov’t being the Gov’t never realized it at the time. Your tax dollars at work.

• 18thstreet - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM

My paltry federal taxes found $670,000? That’s a terrific deal.

My taxes at work!

• 18thstreet - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Where I come from, not paying taxes is a crime.

• MightyMoonWorm - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM

If you don’t want to pay your taxes, you’re free to spend a weekend with the Pain Monster.

• hardjudge - Dec 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

He paid the taxes, the government sent him a refund now they want it back. Learn to read.

3. bloodysock - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM

One Evil Empire suing the other.

• 18thstreet - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I didn’t realize Al Queda attacked an Evil Empire.

• 18thstreet - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Everyone hates the IRS, but you can’t field an army without paying for it.

• JBerardi - Dec 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

“Everyone hates the IRS, but you can’t field an army without paying for it.”

Come on. We invade whole countries without paying for it. Where do you think all that national debt comes from?

• 18thstreet - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM

It comes from people like Hal Steinbrenner not paying enough in taxes.

4. sdelmonte - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hm.

News item: IRS claims Boone Logan on waivers

News item: IRS softball team wins Federal Govt League title

• proudlycanadian - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Well written! You made my day!

5. yankeesfanlen - Dec 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Leave Hal Alone!

6. Gonzo - Dec 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Yet somehow, GE got away with paying $0 in taxes last year.

• hardjudge - Dec 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM

GE= Government electric

7. hammyofdoom - Dec 29, 2011 at 10:27 PM

$670,000? I pictured Hal getting a notice of him getting sued, then rooting around in his couch cushion, calling up the IRS and asking “Do you have change for 670,100?”. This is the epitome of an offseason story man.

8. Glenn - Dec 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM

I think the 1% might have issues a little removed from the rest of us. If only 2/3 of a million dollars either way was minor blip for me. Let’s not forget that most of the Steinbrenner shipping fortune was made from taxpayer money with little return to the rest of us.

• bigharold - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

“Let’s not forget that most of the Steinbrenner shipping fortune was made from taxpayer money with little return to the rest of us.”

A factual inexactitude, long on opinion and devoid of fact or accuracy.

If you are going to take shots at a guy, or his family, know your facts. The Steinbrenner’s money was started by George Stienbrenner II, “The Boss’” father. It started out as Kinsman Marine Transit, a shipbuilding and shipping management company on the Great Lakes not dependent upon US Government contracts. Kinsman Marine acquired American Shipbuilding in the early 60s. By the mid to late 70s American Shipbuilding relocated to the Tampa area due to the decline Great lakes shipping and continuous labor trouble. It was in Tampa that the American Shipbuilding started to take on defense contract, after his family’s wealth was started and after he owned the Yankees.

In effect the US tax payer had almost nothing to do with the “Steinbrenner shipping fortune”, but hey don’t let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2894)