Dec 29, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
That makes them one of several teams that, for reasons that aren’t clear to me, are apparently interested in Joe Saunders. I swear, starting pitchers in December and January are like homely people in the bar at closing time. They all seem so attractive now, but when the sun is up someone is gonna say “man, I signed Joe Saunders? Oof.”
Eh, I shouldn’t hate on Saunders. He had a 3.69 ERA and 1.31 WHIP and ate 212 innings this past season. That has its uses. It’s not so useful that the Dbacks didn’t non-tender him when faced with the prospect of paying him $9 million bucks or so in arbitration, but it isn’t nothing.
Seriously, though: Think he’ll do OK in the AL East, Mr. Duquette? Really?
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)