Dec 29, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
That makes them one of several teams that, for reasons that aren’t clear to me, are apparently interested in Joe Saunders. I swear, starting pitchers in December and January are like homely people in the bar at closing time. They all seem so attractive now, but when the sun is up someone is gonna say “man, I signed Joe Saunders? Oof.”
Eh, I shouldn’t hate on Saunders. He had a 3.69 ERA and 1.31 WHIP and ate 212 innings this past season. That has its uses. It’s not so useful that the Dbacks didn’t non-tender him when faced with the prospect of paying him $9 million bucks or so in arbitration, but it isn’t nothing.
Seriously, though: Think he’ll do OK in the AL East, Mr. Duquette? Really?
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105