Dec 30, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
Remember how during the playoffs you couldn’t go ten friggin’ seconds without someone reminding you that Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter were best buddies and how they were going fishing in the Amazon in the offseason? Well, they did. And professional fisherman Skeet Reece went with them. He blogged about it a couple of weeks ago, but it seems like people are just picking it up and tweeting it around today.
Fun takeaway number 1: Halladay and Reece came across a local who had just been attacked by an Anaconda. Had “bite marks on his ass” and everything. Halladay and Reece helped the guy get his boat back in order and on to safety. Phillies fans have sent this to me multiple times today, characterizing it as “Halladay saved a dude from an anaconda attack!” I suppose that, loosely speaking, that’s sort of accurate. But c’mon. Read the post. Dude saved himself.
More notable: Chris Carpenter apparently broke his toe:
Carpenter was moving from one boat to another one afternoon and cracked his toe on the side of the boat; it was all swollen and black and blue the next morning.
I think I’ve broken eight of my toes and I can’t think of one of ’em that would have kept me from doing anything athletic a couple of months later, so I’m guessing Carpenter will be fine. And heck, at least he didn’t get bitten on the ass by an anaconda.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)