Dec 30, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
Remember how during the playoffs you couldn’t go ten friggin’ seconds without someone reminding you that Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter were best buddies and how they were going fishing in the Amazon in the offseason? Well, they did. And professional fisherman Skeet Reece went with them. He blogged about it a couple of weeks ago, but it seems like people are just picking it up and tweeting it around today.
Fun takeaway number 1: Halladay and Reece came across a local who had just been attacked by an Anaconda. Had “bite marks on his ass” and everything. Halladay and Reece helped the guy get his boat back in order and on to safety. Phillies fans have sent this to me multiple times today, characterizing it as “Halladay saved a dude from an anaconda attack!” I suppose that, loosely speaking, that’s sort of accurate. But c’mon. Read the post. Dude saved himself.
More notable: Chris Carpenter apparently broke his toe:
Carpenter was moving from one boat to another one afternoon and cracked his toe on the side of the boat; it was all swollen and black and blue the next morning.
I think I’ve broken eight of my toes and I can’t think of one of ’em that would have kept me from doing anything athletic a couple of months later, so I’m guessing Carpenter will be fine. And heck, at least he didn’t get bitten on the ass by an anaconda.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)