Chris Carpenter injured his toe fishing in South America

Dec 30, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Chris Carpenter celebrates after getting Texas Rangers' Mike Napoli to fly out and end the 6th inning of Game 5 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in Arlington

Remember how during the playoffs you couldn’t go ten friggin’ seconds without someone reminding you that Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter were best buddies and how they were going fishing in the Amazon in the offseason?  Well, they did.  And professional fisherman Skeet Reece went with them.  He blogged about it a couple of weeks ago, but it seems like people are just picking it up and tweeting it around today.

Fun takeaway number 1: Halladay and Reece came across a local who had just been attacked by an Anaconda. Had “bite marks on his ass” and everything.  Halladay and Reece helped the guy get his boat back in order and on to safety.  Phillies fans have sent this to me multiple times today, characterizing it as “Halladay saved a dude from an anaconda attack!”  I suppose that, loosely speaking, that’s sort of accurate. But c’mon. Read the post. Dude saved himself.

More notable: Chris Carpenter apparently broke his toe:

Carpenter was moving from one boat to another one afternoon and cracked his toe on the side of the boat; it was all swollen and black and blue the next morning.

I think I’ve broken eight of my toes and I can’t think of one of ‘em that would have kept me from doing anything athletic a couple of months later, so I’m guessing Carpenter will be fine.  And heck, at least he didn’t get bitten on the ass by an anaconda.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

No, Halladay is an Anaconda fighter. There is no question about that.

• paperlions - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Yep, his bicepts are bigger than an anaconda.

While working in Paraguay in the 90s, I waded out into a swamp to catch an anaconda that was basking on a piece of wood on a cold morning…it wasn’t the dumbest thing I’ve ever done, nor the smartest. It turned out to only be 13′ long, but at least I can say I caught an anaconda.

• lovesmesomeme - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Me too

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Sorry, no anaconda ever tore an engine off a boat. They’re not built that way – once they feel resistance from their pray desist – and they can tell when it stops breathing and its heart stops beating – they uncoil and go looking for its nose so they can begin swallowing it. An inanimate object like a metal engine wouldn’t induce their constriction reflex. More likely the guy freaked and kicked it or knocked it loose from his own boat.

Anyone who wants to test this theory out doesn’t need to go all the way to South America anymore. We’ve got the damned things living in the Everglades now, and I can arrange a Miccosukee guide to introduce you to one. If you had skipped your reruns of “X-Factor” and come to the First Annual Invasive Species Festival here in Macondo last month, you would know that already.

2. saints97 - Dec 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Halladay honed his anaconda fighting skills while Carpenter was pitching in the NLCS and World Series.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You got it Saints. All the while…racking up Career postseason victory #9.

3. proudlycanadian - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Fun story. Thanks for posting it Craig.

4. proudlycanadian - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I just remembered something. Didn’t a broken big toe do in Dizzy Dean’s career. I understand that he was never the same pitcher after he broke the toe.

• Roger Moore - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

It wasn’t the toe by itself. It’s that he tried to come back from the broken toe too quickly and had to change his motion to avoid putting too much strain on the toe. The altered motion caused (or at least contributed to) an arm injury, which is what really did him in.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Thank you.

• adenzeno - Dec 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Or maybe it was the 1500 innings he threw in the 5 seasons previously..I know the story is that the toe caused it, but…

5. cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own: Harry Leroy Halladay PWNED that snake. He strangled it with his bare hands then threw it 60 feet 6 inchs at 97 mph with 3 inches of lateral and 4 of vertical movement for a clean strike…then fainted in the heat.

• paulsdamnblog - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Don’t forget that Doc’ then turned around and healed the anaconda’s victim by performing the worlds first assectomy.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Better than an assostomy.

6. stlouis1baseball - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Hahaha! I have no doubts that Hallady performed an “assectomy.”

7. trevorb06 - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:21 PM

“I think I’ve broken eight of my toes and I can’t think of one of ‘em that would have kept me from doing anything athletic a couple of months later…”
    -Craig, is going to the fridge to grab another beer athletic activity? :-)

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Oh don’t get him started. Next he’ll break out the story for the 10936263 time about how he scored 4 touchdowns for Polk High. Wait a sec….

8. tn16 - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM

The doctor is ready now

9. jwbiii - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM

So R.A. Dickey gets more than a few “OMG, he’s climbing a mountain! That’s so irresponsible!” posts and nothing like this for Halladay and Carpenter going fishing in a piranha and anaconda infested river far from civilization and medical care?

I disagree with the whole idea, but not a single post like that here?

• cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Well, if memory serves, that post was about the Mets being all poopy-headed about RA climbing the mountain. They’d issued a press release or sent a letter or somesuch explicitly detailing their poopy-headedness & Craig wrote it up from the standpoint of the Mets being poopy heads. The Phillys & Cards, as far as I know, did no such thing when Doc & Carp headed out bush…actually in Doc’s case the Phills probably should have sent a letter to the people of Brazil absolving the City of Philadelphia and their baseball team of all culpability in the event of any and all harm that might come to whatever innocent fish or wildlife that had their ruin smote upon them by the awesomeness that is Harry Leroy Halladay III. Now that would have been an awesome post…

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM

It must be synchronicity that this story came up today, because this was Friendo’s feeding day. If I were their star pitcher, I doubt if the Mutts front office would appreciate my keeping a pet baby rattlesnake, much less climbing Kilimanjaro or going fishing for peacock bass in the Amazon.

Which brings me to my point, as if I actually had one: the Mutts were upset because they knew Dickey was going mountain climbing. I do not doubt that the Feelies and Cards would have been upset if they knew in advance that Doc and Carpenter were going mano-a-mano with an anaconda.

Anyway, who knows? If you’re not an evangelical fundamentalist type, maybe you’re willing to consider the Darwinian proposition that they’ve both just had a random genetic mutation which fits them for occupying the sociological niche vacated by Steve Irwin.

10. alexo0 - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I guess Halliday ‘accidently’ let the boats slip too far away from each other when Carpenter hurt himself.

Seriously though, Roy has been saving lives for years:

11. mojosmagic - Dec 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hope he didn’t have to suck the venom from the native dudes ass. They don’t call him Doc Halliday for nothing.

• randygnyc - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM

It sounds like a total ass-sucking bromance to me.

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2011 at 1:29 AM

“I’m beeten by a snake! I’m beeten by a snake!”

Guess the movie, win a free large popcorn.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Dec 31, 2011 at 2:09 AM

I seem to remember a scene in Bananas where a topless Latina rebel runs around yelling something like that and is followed by all the men in the rebel army offering their … um….sucking services.

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Give that free popcorn to the guy with the half-semester of college western philosophy under his belt!

12. cogitobaseballergosum - Dec 31, 2011 at 1:18 AM

I’d be really worried if he did that – anacondas are non-venomous.

Besides, I thought Roy Halladay never sucked at anything.

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Forget it Jake. It’s the Amazon basin.

• alexo0 - Dec 31, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Weak

13. hushbrother - Dec 31, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Sometimes Halladay will fish with Carpenter

14. umrguy42 - Dec 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Well, if you’re going to break a toe, November/December is probably the time to do it – plenty of time to let it heal without having to put stress on it before pitchers and catchers report…

Orioles turn AL East on its head