College football will test the Yankee Stadium turf today

Dec 30, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT

Army v Rutgers Getty Images

Rutgers fans and New Yorkers will likely remember how the turf at Yankee Stadium didn’t do too well for college football when a game was played their last month.  Today the Pinstripe Bowl will be played — Rutgers again — and the New York Times has a story about all the precautions being taken to ensure that everyone’s footing is better off than it was.

I know the old Yankee Stadium had a storied past as a home for football and I know that they’ve played football in new Yankee Stadium for the past couple of years.  But egad, it bothers me to see something as exquisite and sublime as a baseball field being used for something as crass as football.

It’s like playing racquetball in an art museum.

1. sdelmonte - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Your bias is showing, Craig. Even if I agree that squeezing a rather meaningless college bowl game into Yankee Stadium is silly. (The game, AFAIK, only exists because Yankees Inc. was looking for an extra revenue stream. And honestly, as much as I love my town at this time of year, I don’t think that sending Rutgers across the river instead of a warm climate is much of reward for a season’s work.)

So…what’s your opinion of a hockey game in a baseball park? I like the Winter Classic, and if they ever play it at Citi Field, I hope to be there.

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Sending Rutgers a few dozen miles away from the banks of the fragrant Raritan is something of a treat in itself. I’m not saying that the drinking water in the Bronx is ambrosial or anything, but I’m sure that Cambrian-Ordovician marble filters out the carcinogens a lot more effectively than that Triassic sedimentary rock with its overlay of Pleistocene glacial marl and tarry semi-sublimated trychloroethane and tar sludge.

• bigharold - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Hey easy on the Bronx water stuff there, .. it taste just fine. Besides I growing up in the Bronx I’ve come to like chewy water. It is an acquired taste though.

Besides, like in the David Patterson skits from SNL; it not from New Jersey!

• drewmunny - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Damn. Like the written equivalent of that kid in class, waving his hand and saying “ooh, ooh, pick me, I studied, ooh please, look at me!” Except here, Craig is the teacher (?) and this particular overpost-monkey is the student (?)

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Mummy: Interesting turnabout, that. I spent many years teaching humanities and composition to students on various sorts of NCAA and merit athletic scholarships and it was often difficult to get one to raise his hand at all (interestingly, the women on athletic scholarships were usually quite bright, had actually done their reading and written homework, and participated easily. Their male cohorts were more like Gort, but no one ever told me that “klaatu borrada nikto” would get them to open their eyes).

So I just figgered, if I’m sitting in the back with my copy of Finnegan’s Wake hidden behind my Baseball Yearbook where Craig can’t see it, and everyone between him and me are more like those NCAA scholarship guys – or like you – I’d wave my hand around a bit, show some life, demonstrate that I’ve actively looked into the subject at hand on some level or other, and belay some of the anxiety he must feel every time he types something that, however monosyllabic, conveys subtlety or irony.

• steve keane - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM

if it weren’t for this dopey college football game we would be getting ready for NY Rangers-Les Habitants at Yankee Stadium

• bigharold - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Ranger, . as in ice hockey? Great the frozen tundra version of soccer with an occasional fist fight thrown in. Is hockey even a major sport, .. like on TV and everything?

I forget who said it but hockey is for commies and Canuks. It thought this was a baseball blog?

• kranepool - Dec 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Oh the good ol’ hockey game
        Is the best game you can name
        And the best game you can name
        Is th egood ol’ hockey game

2. bigharold - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Fields of grass are for playing ball games on, ..period. Whether it’s with a bat and ball or an oblong shaped ball that also require helmets and pads, .. and God forbid even that ball game that only requires a ball that is kicked.

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Diego Maradona would beg to differ with you.

• bigharold - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Deiago who?

Did he play 2nd for the Cards back in the 60s?

3. mcsnide - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Your last line reminded me of D’Angelo from The Wire: “Y’all can’t be playin’ no checkers on a chess board.”

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM

But you can contact with spirits with a Ouija planchette on a Scrabble board. Do it all the time.

• jwbiii - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Do the spirits tend to head for the triple word score squares or are they above such mundane concerns?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

So which spirit/god did you contact to make this happen Gator?

Fordham beating Georgia Tech? Still confused over how that happened….

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Oh great – I get to invoke the same cult symbolism to answer both of my interlocutors this morning! Talk about economy of effort.

Okay: triple word scores symbolize the Trinity, a deeply spiritual concern. And I think it’s fair to assume that Fordam was motivated by the Holy Spirit, that most pervasive person of the Trinity, in its all but miraculous triumph over Georgia Tech.

But, Buddha be blessed (and for your information there is actually within Buddhist theology a three-aspect concept of Buddhahood called trikāya, or three bodies of Buddha), one could also say that since “In the beginning was the word,” which for all we know was “Rah!,” a triple word score might itself be a form of hugely spiritual aspiration. I mean, if it’s a spirit that’s shooting for it, and all….

Like the Chief said to Tom Reagan, just speculatin’ on a hypothesis….

4. foreverchipper10 - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM

How about that game played a few years ago at Wrigley where the teams had to both head toward the same end zone while on offense as to avoid the bricks. Weird, wild stuff.

5. bowens3181 - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I can’t tell if bigharold is deliberately being ignorant red-kneck has some sort of comical satire or if that’s truly who he is…

• bowens3181 - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

There seriously needs to be an edit button here…

Attempt #2:I can’t tell if bigharold is deliberately AN being ignorant red-NECK AS some sort of comical satire or if that’s truly who he is…

• jimbo1949 - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

If at second you don’t succeed, try again.

• bowens3181 - Dec 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM