In which I pretend to be above passing along Derek and Minka news even though I’m really not

Dec 30, 2011, 2:37 PM EST

Jeter walks with girlfriend Kelly at Yankee Stadium after final game

I got an email from a publicist a little while ago linking me to a report in “Life & Style Weekly” about Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly being back together. The email said that whoever writes about it “MUST CREDIT LIFE & STYLE WEEKLY.”  So this is credit. Here’s the story over there.  Though, really, you probably want to buy the paper copy, so you can learn why Pippa Middleton is “undateable.”

I mocked all of this on Twitter, but I shouldn’t have. There are people who care about this stuff. And I’m not above getting the page views for linking it, so we’re all a part of the same ugly little celebrity-chasing culture. I’ll own it.

Anyway, in case you care:

… they were seen strolling around the prestigious Musée d’Orsay in Paris on Dec. 29. “They had a guide taking them around on the fifth floor, and they were looking at Monet and the works of other French impressionists,” Pepperdine University student Jaime Olaez, who saw the couple at the art museum, tells Life & Style. “They went to all the different floors; they looked at Van Gogh. Derek was very low-key and was wearing a black-and-gray sweater. Minka looked very pretty. She was wearing white jeans, a brown jacket and boots.”

The Pepperdine student also got audio of their conversation:

Derek: Minka, you’re doing a great job showing me the museum, the Vermeer is quite good, simple, vibrant, but his work definitely fell off as he got older.
Minka: Remind you of anyone?
Derek: And I always confuse Monet and Manet. Now which one married his mistress?
Minka: Monet.
Derek: Right, and then Manet had syphilis.
Minka: They also painted occasionally.

Can I go home yet?  Oh, wait.

Damn.

1. badmamainphilliesjamas - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I guess she missed the gift baskets.

• bloodysock - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Minka needs some more baseballs to sell since Charlie’s Angels got cancelled.

2. Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Your commentary made wading through the actual tabloid silt above it almost worthwhile, Craig.

Almost.

3. pkers - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM

And then Billy Beane walked past them, eating something.

4. cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Right. So Minka’s off the Bunker list of RA Dickey-Armageddon hotties I’d like to face the destruction of mankind with. Damn. I really wanted Minka. Oh well, Derek will have to move on at some point then I can re-pencil her back on, providing Dickey doesn’t begin his conquest of the world before The Captain grows bored again. I’ve got Caroline Dhavernas on speed dial if that’s how it works out.

• pkers - Dec 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I’ll gladly take Caroline off of your hands if Minka falls to you. (Wow, I must really be jonesing for fantasy baseball if I’m thinking of these women in terms of a draft)

• cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Jonesing for fantasy baseball is it? I think you’ve got a bit more on your mind that baseball and I quite frankly do not blame you. ;)

5. Roger Moore - Dec 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I think you need to get a better writer for your dialog. Why would they be talking about Vermeer at Musee d’Orsay? It’s only for 19th and early 20th Century artists.

• raftershostmom - Dec 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

ummmm… try this:

Thought it was a pretty good use of Ocean’s 11 dialog.

6. yankeesgameday - Dec 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Minka in white after labor day? Really girl? In Paris? Didn’t your mother teach you right?

• JBerardi - Dec 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

C’mon man, they don’t even have labor day in France.

• jwbiii - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM

No, France mostly shuts down for the month of August. Not a day, a month.

7. jwbiii - Dec 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Funny thing: Apparently Life & Style probes e-mail contact lists and checks for facebook pages. For me they found my wife, a friend, a niece, and two people I don’t know. My niece is getting married in March.

8. mcshane22 - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Just leave athletes alone. They probably get sick of this kind of stuff.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5474)