Kobe Bryant does study and research for A-Rod

Dec 30, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It was mentioned in that story about A-Rod’s knee procedure the other day that Kobe Bryant recommended the German doctor and the procedure to Rodriguez. Now there’s a bigger story about it, talking to Bryant:

“You can’t just try something just to try it,” Bryant said. “It has to make sense. It has to be something that you can back with research and study and things like that.”

And how did Bryant get information about the therapy — called Orthokine — being done in Duesseldorf?

“It’s my job to know these things,” Bryant said with a grin.

I don’t know why I find that so hilarious, but I do. I get this image of A-Rod at Bryant’s house, drinking a soda and watching MMA or something, while Bryant is in his study with a stack of medical books. Bryant comes out and lectures Rodriguez about taking care of himself and then hands him a plane ticket and the card of the doctor. Rodriguez says something like “uh, what?”  Bryant breathes deeply and firmly tells Rodriguez to go.  A-Rod says something like “Hey, U mad, bro?”  And he says it in such a way that you know he’d spell it like that if he were writing it.

OK, baseball really needs to start now.

UPDATE: If empty dumb humor about this is not good enough for you, go read Anna McDonald’s excellent report about the procedure A-Rod received over at IIATMS.

1. furryroadkill - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Empty dumb humor is plenty for me, Craig-thanks.

2. hankg42 - Dec 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, empty dumb humor is OK, but we do really need baseball to start soon! :-)

3. kinggeorge96 - Dec 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Looks like Craig is trying to do his best FC impersonation…. They always say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

4. Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM

What else have they experimented with? They’re both in a period of interregnum now – all of their recent women, wives included, appear to have gotten fed up with them and cashed in, leaving a couple of celebrity velociraptors free to go out pack-tomming strange.

They’re spoonfeeding Casanova
    To get him to feel more assured
    Then they’ll kill him with self-confidence
    After poisoning him with words
    And the Phantom’s shouting to skinny girls
    “Get outa here if you don’t know”
    Casanova is just being punished for going
    To Desolation Row.
    ….Dylan

5. mcsnide - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Isn’t it the job of pro athletes (the smart ones, anyway), to “know these things”? Their whole careers are contingent on keeping their bodies in the best possible shape, so it makes sense that they would know more about things like nutrition and medical treatments than you or I.

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Let’s hope that these two, in particular, are also current on the latest treatments for venereal disease.

6. cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Another morning where I have to break out the bio-chem text book and do some reading…ok, so I like doing that, but still…Well for anyone who wants to know a little (a VERY little, since I’m no expert) about ARod’s joint treatment, read on…

So, as far as I understand, the procedure isn’t available in the US because it involves the activation of the interleukin-1 (IL-1) antagonist. A chemical that shuts down IL-1 (actually IL-1 comes in 2 forms, but never mind about that: it’s a protein cytokine and hence a signalling molecule). The FDA seems to have banned the procedure because it involves “manipulation of human cells”. So far as I understand it, spinning blood for platelet rich plasma (PRP) is legal & activating or deactivating anything in the blood cells renders it illegal…which is a bit dense. MANY existing, established medical procedures activate or deactivate regulatory proteins. Some forms of chemotherapy, diabetes treatments, and others I’m too ignorant to come up with. Maybe the FDA is all bothered because the activation is done outside the body? Why this is cautionary is a bit puzzling. Its safer for the patient to localize the activation to a test tube: reduces risk of infection, allows more control, and “do overs” are possible. I guess it seems too much like the Dr. Bunsen Honeydew chasing poor Beaker around with a large gauge syringe.

Is it safe, though? Seems to be, in and of it self. However, in the absence of tumor cell testing, I’d be a bit cautious about turning down/off IL-1: the cytokine is involved in tumor growth restriction & no one that I can find has looked into deactivating IL-1 (which revs up your inflammation response) and assessing tumor progress. I should think a thorough cancer screening should be carried out before proceeding.

Does it work? Seems too. However if the effect is more of an acupuncture affect from the needles or has anything to do with the PRP remains to be determined.

Is Kobe the guy you should go to for a run down? Now, that’s not a slam dunk either: he’s had the procedure and claims it’s worked for him…I dunno though. I think I’d wait on those cancer experiments to be carried out before I turn to Kobe for advice.

• ta192 - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Now that’s a helluva post, thanx, Cur…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

A bit more information here, with some notes from two doctors who use the procedure a lot:

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Careful, cur. Any indication of acute intelligence or substantive learning on your part may summon protius out from under his rock to take credit for it.

• cur68 - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Jeez, I didn’t think of that. Well, I did have some typos and forget to capitalize here and there and I think one or two of those sentences are in passive voice. So, yeah, he could make the claim that he taught me something, I guess…mind you that bit about Bunsen Honeydew with a large gauge syringe chasing Beaker around is all me, baby.

7. foreverchipper10 - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Empty, dumb humor makes the world go round. I think we should have more of it on here. Bring back the Twitter questions! Especially since baseball news is relatively slow as of late.

8. xmatt0926x - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM

If only half the stories about Kobe and Arod are true than I doubt you can assume they were sitting around watching MMA. I’m guessing them two and the agent for Pujols were enjoying an afternoon of fast women and fast booze. Not that there’s anything wrong with that..

9. sidelineshot - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM

PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma.

It’s one’s own stuff. Nothing foreign is put back into the body.
    Blood is processed in a centrifuge and the layer of the remaining plasma that contains the platelets is injected into the injured site. There is no downside to the procedure except if you are a chicken and absolutely can stand needles.

No a big deal.

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:10 PM

And here I thought a pletelet was something on which you served cocktail franfurters.

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM

frankfurters

Edit function.
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

• jimeejohnson - Dec 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM

How many of us who post online would bother to use an edit function? I’m guessing the ones who actually proofread our own posts would. I would use it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2797)