Dec 30, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT
It was mentioned in that story about A-Rod’s knee procedure the other day that Kobe Bryant recommended the German doctor and the procedure to Rodriguez. Now there’s a bigger story about it, talking to Bryant:
“You can’t just try something just to try it,” Bryant said. “It has to make sense. It has to be something that you can back with research and study and things like that.”
And how did Bryant get information about the therapy — called Orthokine — being done in Duesseldorf?
“It’s my job to know these things,” Bryant said with a grin.
I don’t know why I find that so hilarious, but I do. I get this image of A-Rod at Bryant’s house, drinking a soda and watching MMA or something, while Bryant is in his study with a stack of medical books. Bryant comes out and lectures Rodriguez about taking care of himself and then hands him a plane ticket and the card of the doctor. Rodriguez says something like “uh, what?” Bryant breathes deeply and firmly tells Rodriguez to go. A-Rod says something like “Hey, U mad, bro?” And he says it in such a way that you know he’d spell it like that if he were writing it.
OK, baseball really needs to start now.
UPDATE: If empty dumb humor about this is not good enough for you, go read Anna McDonald’s excellent report about the procedure A-Rod received over at IIATMS.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)