Dec 31, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
You know how Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo keeps trying to downplay his team’s interest in Prince Fielder? How he keeps saying Adam LaRoche is going to be the team’s first baseman next season? Yeah, this story isn’t going to help his cause.
As you may have heard, Fielder and his agent Scott Boras went on a brief tour of some MLB cities earlier this month to meet with team owners. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun hears that while the Baltimore/Washington area was on the itinerary, they did not meet with Orioles’ owner Peter Angelos.
By some clever process of elimination, we can likely surmise that they did meet with someone from the Lerner family, who owns the Nationals. Of course, this might not mean a whole lot. I mean, shouldn’t Boras visit the team who gave big money to some of his clients, including Jayson Werth, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper? These guys are old pals. But if Boras used his Jedi mind trick on the Rizzo and the Lerners again, look out.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)