Dec 31, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
You know how Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo keeps trying to downplay his team’s interest in Prince Fielder? How he keeps saying Adam LaRoche is going to be the team’s first baseman next season? Yeah, this story isn’t going to help his cause.
As you may have heard, Fielder and his agent Scott Boras went on a brief tour of some MLB cities earlier this month to meet with team owners. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun hears that while the Baltimore/Washington area was on the itinerary, they did not meet with Orioles’ owner Peter Angelos.
By some clever process of elimination, we can likely surmise that they did meet with someone from the Lerner family, who owns the Nationals. Of course, this might not mean a whole lot. I mean, shouldn’t Boras visit the team who gave big money to some of his clients, including Jayson Werth, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper? These guys are old pals. But if Boras used his Jedi mind trick on the Rizzo and the Lerners again, look out.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17