Dec 31, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
The Yankees bid $2 million to secure an exclusive 30-day negotiating window with the 29-year-old earlier this month. Nakajima doesn’t figure to be more than a second utility infielder behind Eduardo Nunez even if he does sign, so there have been some rumblings about a potential sign-and-trade.
Heyman writes that the two sides have until Tuesday to get a deal done, but other reports have suggested that the deadline is January 6. Either way, as Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote on Wednesday, a resolution is expected next week. The Yankees will not be responsible for the posting fee if the deadline passes with no deal.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)