Dec 31, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
The Yankees bid $2 million to secure an exclusive 30-day negotiating window with the 29-year-old earlier this month. Nakajima doesn’t figure to be more than a second utility infielder behind Eduardo Nunez even if he does sign, so there have been some rumblings about a potential sign-and-trade.
Heyman writes that the two sides have until Tuesday to get a deal done, but other reports have suggested that the deadline is January 6. Either way, as Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote on Wednesday, a resolution is expected next week. The Yankees will not be responsible for the posting fee if the deadline passes with no deal.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (74)