Dec 31, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
The Yankees bid $2 million to secure an exclusive 30-day negotiating window with the 29-year-old earlier this month. Nakajima doesn’t figure to be more than a second utility infielder behind Eduardo Nunez even if he does sign, so there have been some rumblings about a potential sign-and-trade.
Heyman writes that the two sides have until Tuesday to get a deal done, but other reports have suggested that the deadline is January 6. Either way, as Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote on Wednesday, a resolution is expected next week. The Yankees will not be responsible for the posting fee if the deadline passes with no deal.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)