Dec 31, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Tigers have some more competition. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Marlins also have “serious interest” in Garza.
The Cubs are believed to have prospect outfielder and 2010 first-round pick Christian Yelich on their radar while Rosenthal hears the Marlins are willing to part with the likes of first baseman Gaby Sanchez, outfielder Chris Coghlan, reliever Jose Ceda and third base prospect Matt Dominguez in potential trades.
10:25 PM: It’s no secret that the Cubs are shopping right-hander Matt Garza as the new front office lays the groundwork for a rebuilding plan. Early word had the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox as potential landing spots. However, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Tigers have also emerged as as suitor.
The Tigers were involved in trade talks with the Athletics for left-hander Gio Gonzalez before he was traded to the Nationals last week. However, talks fell apart after they refused to give up prospect third baseman Nick Castellanos along with prospect right-hander Jacob Turner. The thought is that the price tag won’t be nearly as high for Garza, as he is under team control through 2013 while Gonzalez is under team control through 2015. Should still be pretty hefty, though.
Garza, who turned 28 in November, owns a 3.83 ERA over his first six seasons in the big leagues, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. He posted a 3.32 ERA and a career-high 197 strikeouts over 198 innings this past season with the Cubs.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)