Dec 31, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
UPDATE: The Tigers have some more competition. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Marlins also have “serious interest” in Garza.
The Cubs are believed to have prospect outfielder and 2010 first-round pick Christian Yelich on their radar while Rosenthal hears the Marlins are willing to part with the likes of first baseman Gaby Sanchez, outfielder Chris Coghlan, reliever Jose Ceda and third base prospect Matt Dominguez in potential trades.
10:25 PM: It’s no secret that the Cubs are shopping right-hander Matt Garza as the new front office lays the groundwork for a rebuilding plan. Early word had the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox as potential landing spots. However, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Tigers have also emerged as as suitor.
The Tigers were involved in trade talks with the Athletics for left-hander Gio Gonzalez before he was traded to the Nationals last week. However, talks fell apart after they refused to give up prospect third baseman Nick Castellanos along with prospect right-hander Jacob Turner. The thought is that the price tag won’t be nearly as high for Garza, as he is under team control through 2013 while Gonzalez is under team control through 2015. Should still be pretty hefty, though.
Garza, who turned 28 in November, owns a 3.83 ERA over his first six seasons in the big leagues, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. He posted a 3.32 ERA and a career-high 197 strikeouts over 198 innings this past season with the Cubs.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 9
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 11
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 23
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)