Jan 1, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
The Reds haven’t talked to Phillips’ agents since the winter meetings.
“We decided to table it till January,” [GM Walt] Jocketty said.
Phillips told reporters late last season that he would not be offering the Reds a “homeboy hookup” on a long-term deal, but tweeted a little over a month ago that talks were “moving in the right direction.” He was reportedly made an offer in early December.
The 30-year-old batted .300/.353/.457 with 18 home runs, 38 doubles and 82 RBI in 674 plate appearances this past season for the third-place Reds while playing his usual brand of elite-level defense at second base. If the Cincinnati front office fails to lock him up, Phillips will hit the free agent market next winter.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)