Jan 1, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
The Reds haven’t talked to Phillips’ agents since the winter meetings.
“We decided to table it till January,” [GM Walt] Jocketty said.
Phillips told reporters late last season that he would not be offering the Reds a “homeboy hookup” on a long-term deal, but tweeted a little over a month ago that talks were “moving in the right direction.” He was reportedly made an offer in early December.
The 30-year-old batted .300/.353/.457 with 18 home runs, 38 doubles and 82 RBI in 674 plate appearances this past season for the third-place Reds while playing his usual brand of elite-level defense at second base. If the Cincinnati front office fails to lock him up, Phillips will hit the free agent market next winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)