Jan 1, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
The Reds haven’t talked to Phillips’ agents since the winter meetings.
“We decided to table it till January,” [GM Walt] Jocketty said.
Phillips told reporters late last season that he would not be offering the Reds a “homeboy hookup” on a long-term deal, but tweeted a little over a month ago that talks were “moving in the right direction.” He was reportedly made an offer in early December.
The 30-year-old batted .300/.353/.457 with 18 home runs, 38 doubles and 82 RBI in 674 plate appearances this past season for the third-place Reds while playing his usual brand of elite-level defense at second base. If the Cincinnati front office fails to lock him up, Phillips will hit the free agent market next winter.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 5
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit