Jan 1, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Braves head trainer Jeff Porter lost his wife, Kathy, Saturday when the family’s SUV collided with a Georgia State Patrol cruiser just north of Turner Field in Atlanta.
Jeff Porter was at the wheel when the unidentified state police officer collided with his SUV in an intersection. Reports indicate the officer was responding to a call for assistance in a high-speed chase nearby. The officer was treated for injuries and released from the hospital.
Jeff Porter, his 19-year-old son, David, and a family friend were also taken to the hospital and released.
The Braves released the following statement after the accident:
The Braves family is deeply saddened and shocked to learn about the tragic accident today involving the family of head athletic trainer Jeff Porter and the death of his wife, Kathy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jeff and Kathy’s family, their son, David, and all their friends and loved ones.
Jeff Porter has worked for the Braves since 1985 and served as the team’s head trainer since 2003.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)