Jan 1, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Braves head trainer Jeff Porter lost his wife, Kathy, Saturday when the family’s SUV collided with a Georgia State Patrol cruiser just north of Turner Field in Atlanta.
Jeff Porter was at the wheel when the unidentified state police officer collided with his SUV in an intersection. Reports indicate the officer was responding to a call for assistance in a high-speed chase nearby. The officer was treated for injuries and released from the hospital.
Jeff Porter, his 19-year-old son, David, and a family friend were also taken to the hospital and released.
The Braves released the following statement after the accident:
The Braves family is deeply saddened and shocked to learn about the tragic accident today involving the family of head athletic trainer Jeff Porter and the death of his wife, Kathy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jeff and Kathy’s family, their son, David, and all their friends and loved ones.
Jeff Porter has worked for the Braves since 1985 and served as the team’s head trainer since 2003.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)