Dr. Lupica will see you now

Jan 2, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v New York Yankees - Game 5 Getty Images

Mike Lupica — who I’m sure has some sort of medical degree or else he wouldn’t be allowed to go after a doctor like this due to his total lack of expertise and credibility on such issues — is skeptical about the physician who treated A-Rod’s knee over in Germany:

Nobody is saying that Wehling, the new star doctor of the moment in sports, is Galea, or will ever look at any kind of legal trouble. Maybe what Wehling is doing with blood really is better than what everybody else is doing, he is one of those guys out of science and medicine who really is a step or two ahead of the field.

But sometimes you don’t have to be either a doctor or a scientist to know that when things look too good to be true, they usually are.

He repeatedly refers to the blood-spinning procedure A-Rod got as “a quick fix” and the whole column drips with dubiousness that is only present because A-Rod is involved and he’s a big lightning rod for this stuff, not because there’s a single reason to believe that the doctor or the procedure in question is suspect legally or ethically.

I’m struck by the notion that if Lupica were writing 90 years ago he’d be putting up columns going after Alexander Felming:

“Nobody is saying that Fleming, the man who claims that if Penicillium notatum were grown in the appropriate substrate, it would exude a substance with antibiotic properties, is possessed by evil spirits and practices sorcery, but sometimes you don’t have to be a doctor or scientist to know that if things look too good to be true, they usually are.”

Not sure which 1920s ballplayer would be the whipping boy Alex Rodriguez is because of it, but I’m going with … Babe Herman of the Brooklyn Robins. His name — there has to be some sort of “little Babe” or “FauxBabe” construction the tabloids would go in for — and the city he played in would be way too ripe for a guy like Lupica to riff on all the time.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM

To quote Len “Leave Arod Alone!”

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Seconded, and carried.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM

No fair. You voted while I was in the men’s room.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

There was a quorum and the vote passes without any dissenting voices.

2. JBerardi - Jan 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Well, it’s a slow news day and A-Rod did something. Better fire up the ‘ol outrage machine.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

If I may be allowed to expand on the last part of Mr. Lupica’s comment and I quote “you don’t have to be a doctor or scientist to know that if things look too good to be true, they usually are.” end of quote.

I would add: you don’t have to be a sports writer or Nobel prize winner in journalism to know Lupica is an unmitigated ass. You just need to be a Yankees fan.

• baseballisboring - Jan 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Well…I dunno about that. I’m not a Yankees fan, and haven’t read much from him, but I figured the unmitigated ass part out pretty quick.

• uyf1950 - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Of course there is my one true fan on this site. No matter what I post, pro or con about a piece, no matter be it funny, sarcastic or innocuous. There is usually always 1 thumbs down.

Well my friend and one true fan, THANK YOU. I know my work here has not gone unnoticed.

• skids003 - Jan 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM

He’s a piece of work. Ask him about the time Dave Kingman stuffed him in his locker.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Mike Lupica is pretty short, if he were a doctor, he could probably give hernia checks while standing up.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM

And you could put your beer can down on his head while leafing through the old copy of Golf Digest you brought in from the waiting room….

5. baseballisboring - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM

• baseballisboring - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM

OK maybe Ryan Braun.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It wouldn’t because this is Lupica’s m.o. Just look at some of these articles* he’s written over the years about the Yanks, and Arod in particular. Also, considering Lupica is a Mets fan, the only target easier than the Mets/Wilpons is Arod in NY.

*http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/mike%20lupica

• baseballisboring - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

God I miss Fire Joe Morgan.

• JBerardi - Jan 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM

“Would this article have even been written if it was literally *anyone* that wasn’t A-Rod?”

If it was Jeter, someone would have written about what an incredibly committed teammate he is to try this risky, un-tested procedure.

6. bigharold - Jan 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

‘Not sure which 1920s ballplayer would be the whipping boy…”

The Yankee of all Yankees, one George Herman “Babe” Ruth.

The, like death, taxes and the laws of gravity one of the great constants in the world today is that Mike Lupica will ALWAYS take every opportunity to be critical of the Yankees, .. whether the facts warrant it or not. And, the bigger the Yankee profile the more likely they are to get the “Lupica treatment”.

He a sawed off sanctimonious runt that will literally pontificate ad nauseam on any subject regardless of his knowledge or understanding of the issues and facts. And, for some unfathomable reason the Editors at the NYDN have now allowed him to bring his “expertise” issues outside the sports world., .. so s New Yorkers we’ve got that going for us. I’m figuring that the NYDN is paying him so much thatthey have to get more copy from him, … because they sure aren’t going to get better.

Still the Yankees hold a special place in Lupia’s demented psyche. It’s a Pavlovian response that just gets the little fella in full attack mode. My theory is that about 30 years ago George Steinbrenner thought he was a busboy at some Yankee media event at told him he was doing a lousy job filling the water glasses and taking away the dishes. It got Lupia so mad the propella on his cap stated to spin at a rate that it broke off a flew away. Since then he’s had it in for the Yankees and takes every opportunity to take a shot at them. And, the facts are merely something to be manipulated, ignored or cherry picked to fit the occasion. He’s the living embodiment of “don’t the the facts stand in the way of a good rant”.

• protius - Jan 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Can you imagine what would happen to Lupica if he wrote this about Caesar’s famous receding hair line?

Gaius Julius Caesar, other dictators look for magical cure for hair loss
      Sunday, January 1, 44BC 12:54 AM

No one is saying Capellius, the new man of the moment is Pompey, or will ever see Egypt. Maybe what Capellius is doing with Caesar’s hair really is better then what Bosley or anybody else could do; he is, after all, a man of science and medicine who is usually a step ahead of the competition.

Thursday, March 14, 44BC 3:10 PM

Capellius, hair stylist to the rich and famous, was fed to the Tigers at the stadium in Detroitus today, after he failed to grow a single strand of hair on Caesar’s pate. The balding dictator will confer with select Senate members tomorrow morning to consider what Hair Club for Tyrants has to offer.

7. cur68 - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

So I read Lupica’s take on ARod’s procedure. I am struck by a few things. First, it seems he didn’t appear to take the trouble to understand the procedure. Its not that hard, really. I get it, so it must be easy to understand. Second, his argument can be interpreted as”guilt by association”: “its ARod so it must be bad”. Thirdly, he assumes the FDA is right to ban the procedure: they are not. The knock against the version PRP that ARod had was the activation of interleuken-1 (IL-1) antigen while the blood is outside the body. This is deemed “manipulation of blood”. The FDA are acting like this will turn the blood into a zombifying solution that will bring about the apocalypse (FYI this is commonly done in chemotherapy so why they have a big problem with PRP is beyond me). If they paid any attention they’d see the Apocalypse will be triggered by RA Dickey climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Stupid FDA. Anyhow, in summary, I’d like to say, Mike Lupica, WTF?

• umrguy42 - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I now want to have a discussion on what happens when some owner breaks the “zombie barrier” for MLB, and what that will mean for the game, followed by the next logical discussion of the treatment of zombie players in the HoF…

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Not difficult. Just watch reruns of the last week of 2011 play by the Beanbags and the Bravos if you want to see what the walking dead look like in baseball uniforms.

8. tuftsb - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I would say that Loopy is grandstanding, but due to his stature I cannot actually see him standing.

Mike’s still mad at MLB players for using up all the HgH he needs to maintain his limited physical stature.

9. tuftsb - Jan 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

The use of centrifged bllod is common in other medical procedures. I was put on a centrifuge for 6 hours to harvest stem cells for an autologous stem cell procedure to combat multiple myeloma.

I fear that the march of the Luddites as it relates to medical innovation is being aided by Loopy, the anti-vaccine crowd and scaremongers.

• cur68 - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Waitaminute…did they spin you or your blood for six hours? I’m being really pedantic, but the FDA’s ignorance is a direct byproduct of the general ignorance of these procedures. So, unless they really did spin you, the person, for 6 hours (my dog, that would have been awful) probably what happened was that it took about 4 minutes to spin blood, or about 10 to 12 minutes for bone marrow (bone marrow is the richest source of stem cells, BTW. Even better than umbilical cord blood). The rest of the time is taken up with harvesting (the process of obtaining the stem cells), & “cleaning” (takes about 2 to 4 hours to get the DNA, extra protein etc out of it), then, depending on the procedure the reactionary laws of the FDA, they may or may not have treated your stem cells with radiation to deactivate any cancer stem cells that might have been present and, with transfusion time, you get your 6 hours, give or take.

Whatever went on, I’m glad you made it. If they did spin you, I hope the dizziness has faded and that you didn’t pull too many g-forces. You’ll be shorter if you did. Bummer.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I don’t know why all this talk of centrifuges reminds me of the juxtaposed expressions on the faces of the Mercury astronauts and the chimpanzee training on a centrifuge for the first “manned” space launch in The Right Stuff….

10. tuftsb - Jan 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ha! I took a week’s worth of injections of neupogen to stimulate cell formation in my bones. I had been taking revlimid for five months, but was now given two doses of velcade. The next week I spent 6 hours (some people need to do it for two days) attached to a machine that took the blood out of my body and through a centrifuge, harvested the stem cells, and reheated the blood and fed it back into my body via a central line in my chest. You have to reheat because the centrifuge cools the blood and could cause hypothermia.

A week later I got the nasty chemo – melphalan – for two days, then got the cells reintroduced to the body. Then the fun starts – I ran a 103+ temperature with no immune system to speak of for ten days, vomiting, chills, inability to sleep…..and that was a successful myeloma procedure.

• cur68 - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Jeez Laweez…if the cancer don’t get ya the chemo does. Well, that’s a nice description of the in-line procedure. Sounds much more stream lined than it used to be. At least you’re not shorter.

11. stevem7 - Jan 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Mike Lupica is someone who fancies himself an expert on everything from baseball to politics and knows absolutely nothing about any of it. Those who would waste time reading the trash that Lupica publishes needs to upgrade their reading skills. Lupica refuses to allow people to comment on his columns in the NYDN. Why? Because he gets 95% bad feedback on his garbage.

12. pitolove124 - Jan 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM

STEVEM7 – You are so right. You said it perfectly. I refuse to read anything Lupica writes. He’s the Glen Beck of the NYDN. He never allows anyone to comment on his stinking articles because he’s a hack and writes from his emotions instead of from facts.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5068)