Jan 2, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Mike Lupica — who I’m sure has some sort of medical degree or else he wouldn’t be allowed to go after a doctor like this due to his total lack of expertise and credibility on such issues — is skeptical about the physician who treated A-Rod’s knee over in Germany:
Nobody is saying that Wehling, the new star doctor of the moment in sports, is Galea, or will ever look at any kind of legal trouble. Maybe what Wehling is doing with blood really is better than what everybody else is doing, he is one of those guys out of science and medicine who really is a step or two ahead of the field.
But sometimes you don’t have to be either a doctor or a scientist to know that when things look too good to be true, they usually are.
He repeatedly refers to the blood-spinning procedure A-Rod got as “a quick fix” and the whole column drips with dubiousness that is only present because A-Rod is involved and he’s a big lightning rod for this stuff, not because there’s a single reason to believe that the doctor or the procedure in question is suspect legally or ethically.
I’m struck by the notion that if Lupica were writing 90 years ago he’d be putting up columns going after Alexander Felming:
“Nobody is saying that Fleming, the man who claims that if Penicillium notatum were grown in the appropriate substrate, it would exude a substance with antibiotic properties, is possessed by evil spirits and practices sorcery, but sometimes you don’t have to be a doctor or scientist to know that if things look too good to be true, they usually are.”
Not sure which 1920s ballplayer would be the whipping boy Alex Rodriguez is because of it, but I’m going with … Babe Herman of the Brooklyn Robins. His name — there has to be some sort of “little Babe” or “FauxBabe” construction the tabloids would go in for — and the city he played in would be way too ripe for a guy like Lupica to riff on all the time.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte