Hanley Ramirez is coming around to the idea of playing third base

Jan 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT

Hanley Ramirez Getty Images

Remember how Hanley Ramirez was all bent out of shape by the Marlins signing Jose Reyes and talking about moving him to third base?  Well, he — or his agent and/or P.R. team — has had a change of heart:

“I have spoken with (manager Ozzie) Guillén and what we want is to win with the Marlins,” Ramirez told the Associated Press. “When January arrives, we will see what will happen to change position and others. If it’s third, well, where I get to win, I will do it”

That’s good to hear. Can’t wait for his Michael Young-style MVP campaign to get started.  Or do you have to ask to be traded before you accept the position change to be considered a team leader?

1. Kyle - Jan 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

That Hanley Ramirez just knows how to win. There’s no sacrifice he won’t make for the good of the team. Next season, I look forward to my eyes telling me that Hanley Ramirez meant more to the Miami Marlins and their success than any player in the National League.

• cowboysoldiertx - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

MY Jr will capture the hearts of America! lmao

• JBerardi - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

“I look forward to my eyes telling me that Hanley Ramirez meant more to the Miami Marlins and their success than any player in the National League.”

The funny thing is, Hanley could pull a reverse Michael Young and actually be the best player in his league, while being ignored in the voting because he’s not a Winning Winner who Wins in the eyes of the media.

• baseballisboring - Jan 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

*ahemhe’salsohispanicahem*

2. proudlycanadian - Jan 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Nothing wrong with third base as long as you score.

3. Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I’m relieved by the attitude adjustment. How well a guy who has issues throwing accurately to first from short will cover the third base line and throw accurately to first from even further away remains to be seen. But in the words of the immortal (though dead) Fats Waller,* “One never knows, do one?”

*Not to be confused with Fats Fielder, designated hitter for the Washington Nationals.

• cowboysoldiertx - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Gator you are with out the wittiest guy on the planet. Sometimes I read HBT JUST for your insight and comments (cough replace Craig cough). I salute you sir!

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

blush

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

The references alone make it. Though I don’t want Craig replaced, Gator is the supreme commentor.

4. JBerardi - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Well, this is certainly surpris… oh, wait… no… it’s that other thing… predictable. Yeah, that’s the one.

Spring training, only 845 years away (rough estimate).

5. yettyskills - Jan 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Smartest thing Hanley has said in years

6. hushbrother - Jan 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I don’t think anyone has ever thought of Ramirez as a team leader like Michael Young.

The question I have is, will Jeter grumble like these guys did when the Yankees finally try to nudge him off the shortstop position?

All the trade deadline news to know