Jan 2, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Rick Peterson wasn’t a candidate for the Red Sox pitching coach job, but he did have multiple interviews earlier this offseason for a position in the Orioles’ organization. And according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he is expected to be hired by the club within the next few days.
Peterson was previously a pitching coach in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. Rick Adair is returning as Orioles’ pitching coach in 2012, so the nature of Peterson’s new gig isn’t exactly clear. While he technically interviewed for the team’s vacant minor league pitching coordinator position, he is expected to be given wider responsibilities within the organization.
One other interesting hire passed along by Connolly is Chris Correnti, who formerly worked as a physical therapist with the Red Sox while new Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette was the general manager. Like Peterson, he is highly-regarded for his use of pitching biomechanics. Correnti served as Pedro Martinez‘s personal trainer in 2006 and joined Peterson on the Mets’ staff in 2007. He hasn’t worked for a professional team since being let go by New York following the 2010 season.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 3
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)