Jan 2, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Rick Peterson wasn’t a candidate for the Red Sox pitching coach job, but he did have multiple interviews earlier this offseason for a position in the Orioles’ organization. And according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he is expected to be hired by the club within the next few days.
Peterson was previously a pitching coach in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. Rick Adair is returning as Orioles’ pitching coach in 2012, so the nature of Peterson’s new gig isn’t exactly clear. While he technically interviewed for the team’s vacant minor league pitching coordinator position, he is expected to be given wider responsibilities within the organization.
One other interesting hire passed along by Connolly is Chris Correnti, who formerly worked as a physical therapist with the Red Sox while new Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette was the general manager. Like Peterson, he is highly-regarded for his use of pitching biomechanics. Correnti served as Pedro Martinez‘s personal trainer in 2006 and joined Peterson on the Mets’ staff in 2007. He hasn’t worked for a professional team since being let go by New York following the 2010 season.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires