Jan 2, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Rick Peterson wasn’t a candidate for the Red Sox pitching coach job, but he did have multiple interviews earlier this offseason for a position in the Orioles’ organization. And according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he is expected to be hired by the club within the next few days.
Peterson was previously a pitching coach in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. Rick Adair is returning as Orioles’ pitching coach in 2012, so the nature of Peterson’s new gig isn’t exactly clear. While he technically interviewed for the team’s vacant minor league pitching coordinator position, he is expected to be given wider responsibilities within the organization.
One other interesting hire passed along by Connolly is Chris Correnti, who formerly worked as a physical therapist with the Red Sox while new Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette was the general manager. Like Peterson, he is highly-regarded for his use of pitching biomechanics. Correnti served as Pedro Martinez‘s personal trainer in 2006 and joined Peterson on the Mets’ staff in 2007. He hasn’t worked for a professional team since being let go by New York following the 2010 season.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 1
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)