Jan 2, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Rick Peterson wasn’t a candidate for the Red Sox pitching coach job, but he did have multiple interviews earlier this offseason for a position in the Orioles’ organization. And according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he is expected to be hired by the club within the next few days.
Peterson was previously a pitching coach in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. Rick Adair is returning as Orioles’ pitching coach in 2012, so the nature of Peterson’s new gig isn’t exactly clear. While he technically interviewed for the team’s vacant minor league pitching coordinator position, he is expected to be given wider responsibilities within the organization.
One other interesting hire passed along by Connolly is Chris Correnti, who formerly worked as a physical therapist with the Red Sox while new Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette was the general manager. Like Peterson, he is highly-regarded for his use of pitching biomechanics. Correnti served as Pedro Martinez‘s personal trainer in 2006 and joined Peterson on the Mets’ staff in 2007. He hasn’t worked for a professional team since being let go by New York following the 2010 season.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)