Jan 3, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that the Reds have kept their one-year offer to Francisco Cordero on the table and the two sides continue to talk, but today agent Bean Stringfellow indicated that the veteran closer has multi-year offers from other teams.
“We’re making progress on a lot of fronts,” Stringfellow told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. “Multi-year contracts are definitely involved. The Reds are involved and are still interested in bringing him back. I am talking with them on a regular basis.”
Cordero is coming off a four-year, $45 million deal and saved 37 games last season, but he’s also 37 years old and saw his strikeout rate plummet to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings. Cincinnati declined his $12 million option for 2012, paying him a $1 million buyout instead.
Toss in the fact that Ryan Madson is still on the market and if Stringfellow can secure a multi-year contract for Cordero he’ll certainly have more than earned his commission.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)