Jan 3, 2012, 4:41 PM EST
General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that the Reds have kept their one-year offer to Francisco Cordero on the table and the two sides continue to talk, but today agent Bean Stringfellow indicated that the veteran closer has multi-year offers from other teams.
“We’re making progress on a lot of fronts,” Stringfellow told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. “Multi-year contracts are definitely involved. The Reds are involved and are still interested in bringing him back. I am talking with them on a regular basis.”
Cordero is coming off a four-year, $45 million deal and saved 37 games last season, but he’s also 37 years old and saw his strikeout rate plummet to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings. Cincinnati declined his $12 million option for 2012, paying him a $1 million buyout instead.
Toss in the fact that Ryan Madson is still on the market and if Stringfellow can secure a multi-year contract for Cordero he’ll certainly have more than earned his commission.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)