Jan 3, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The “Powell doctrine” mandates the use of overwhelming and decisive force in order to achieve the stated objective. Based on the press release I got a few minutes ago, MLB Network adheres to that doctrine when it comes to coverage of the Hall of Fame vote announcement on Monday:
The results of the 2012 National Baseball Hall of Fame ballot will be announced on MLB Network and simulcast on MLB.com on Monday, January 9 at 3:00 p.m. ET as part of a two-hour announcement show … coverage will include interviews with any electees and be anchored by Matt Vasgersian with MLB Network’s Bob Costas, Greg Amsinger, Brian Kenny and Harold Reynolds, Hall of Fame award-winning baseball writer Peter Gammons, and Hall of Fame voters Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci. Hall of Fame coverage and reaction will continue on MLB Network’s Intentional Talk and Hot Stove starting at 5:00 p.m. ET.
That’s a good three total hours of coverage with no fewer than nine talking heads. All to handle the induction of what will likely be one person, Barry Larkin. Who, if MLB Network is serious about its business, won’t himself be allowed to talk given that he’s employed by rival ESPN on “Baseball Tonight.”
Not that any of this is criticism. I love baseball and there’s so damn little of it right now. My cable company is awful and doesn’t carry MLB Network, but if it did I’d have it locked in there all day. If for no other reason than they’ll be showing lots of Barry Larkin highlights, and I miss him a lot.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead