Jan 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego made a surprising move to acquire Carlos Quentin from the White Sox over the weekend and yesterday general manager Josh Byrnes indicated that the Padres will try to extend the 29-year-old outfielder’s contract before he’s eligible for free agency next offseason.
“Our payroll model is setting up well,” Byrnes told Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune. “We’re not in total go-for-it mode, but we can make some choices. We acquired Carlos with the thought that we could extend him.”
Padres fans should be encouraged by the willingness to spend some money and keep some players in San Diego, but Quentin is set to make about $7 million this season via arbitration and locking him up long term before seeing how he performs at Petco Park would be a big risk for a player who’s called two hitter-friendly ballparks home in Arizona and Chicago.
For his career Quentin’s home OPS is 100 points higher than his road OPS and his overall production has been good rather than great, so as a right-handed slugger with low batting averages and poor defense he may find it difficult to thrive in the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)