Jan 3, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
According to a Sponichi report, Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma is leaning toward signing with the Mariners. The story was passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker and the following translated quote from Iwakuma was published on MLB Trade Rumors.
“We’ve received terms from a number of clubs, but considering where I’m needed and an environment my family can live in, at present we’re closest to a contract with the Mariners,” Iwakuma said.
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reported yesterday that the Orioles are also interested in Iwakuma. Per a previous report by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, it’s believed that another American League team could be in the mix.
The Athletics won exclusive negotiating rights with Iwakuma last offseason by submitting a $19.1 million posting fee, but the two sides failed to agree on a contract. For what it’s worth, it was reported that the Mariners did not submit a bid for him last year. However, they are very much interested now that he’s available as a free agent.
Iwakuma, who turns 31 in April, posted a 2.42 ERA and 90/19 K/BB ratio in 119 innings this past year for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan’s Pacific League. He has a 3.25 ERA during his 11-year career.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)