Report: Marlins re-sign Greg Dobbs to two-year, $3 million contract

Jan 3, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

Greg Dobbs AP

Remember how it was a little weird when it was reported last week that the Marlins’ main objective was to re-sign Greg Dobbs? Well, they aren’t messing around.

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins have re-signed Dobbs to a two-year contract. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com hears that the deal is worth $3 million.

Dobbs had to settle for a minor league deal with the Marlins last offseason after batting .196 with five homers and a .583 OPS with the Phillies in 2010. The 33-year-old bounced back to a degree last season, batting .275/.311/.389 with eight homers, 49 RBI and a .701 OPS while making 84 starts at third base, three at first and three in each of the corner outfield spots.

While Dobbs isn’t productive enough to be a major-league regular, he did bat .370 (10-for-27) with one home run and eight RBI as a pinch-hitter. And with Hanley Ramirez expected to make the move to third base to accomodate the newly-signed Jose Reyes, the expectation is that he’ll mostly function as a left-handed bat of the bench moving forward.

1. Old Gator - Jan 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

That’s a nice solidification of the bench, and Dobbs was a competent third baseman – something Hanley is going to have to prove he is too. And as you noted, he can be plugged in anywhere but middle infield. I seem to recall that he even did some catching once but since I’m too lazy to look that up tonight, what with this unnatural cold down here in Macondo, I’ll leave it to someone else to verify. Like many Macondoans, my brain freezes when the mercury drops below 50 degrees.

2. The Baseball Gods - Jan 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Dobbs is not a “competent” anything when we are talking about fielding. He is an above average bat off the bench who should never play the field.

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

He did better than OK playing third for the Feesh last season. This might be grading on a curve but we’ve seen much worse out there since Mike Lowell was exiled to Boston

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

An above average bat who requires regular at bats to get in any kind of groove. It seems he fares better in a platoon situation. I’m sure those 84 starts helped him actually do some damage at the plate. Similar to his work with the Phillies. I wonder if he will actually be able to hack it exclusively from the bench. If he only plays 80-90 games as defensive replacement / bench guy, I see his production going south again.

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If I had the slightest idea how Slobbering Ozzie worked platoons (as opposed to pontoons, balloons or pantaloons) I would venture that he’ll find plenty of playing time spelling the other regulars, given his ability to play other positions.

But I don’t.

What I do fear is that he’ll wind up playing some third base after Hanley has to be pulled off of Slobbering Ozzie when Captain Blowhard sounds off publicly about the Hanster’s poor play at the corner. I still think Old Vulva Lips is lucky Alex Rios didn’t strangle him after some of the comments Blubbermouth made about him, deserved or not.

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Ack! And was I not remiss in failing to mention forma, wampeters and granfaloons?

Ace-killer Giants do it again