Jan 3, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Jon Heyman writes about Edwin Jackson today, and the market his agent — Scott Boras — is trying to create for him. This passage is great fun:
Jackson is believed to be looking for a deal that pays him in the $15-to-17-million range annually. Agent Scott Boras has compared Jackson to C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, John Lackey, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe in his book touting Jackson.
Let me get this straight: Scott Boras is using Lackey, Burnett and Lowe — three the most regrettable free agent signings in recent years — as comps for Edwin Jackson. He is, in effect, telling baseball teams that Edwin Jackson can be just what those guys are, so he should be paid as such. He wants them to willingly sign the next A.J. Burnett, John Lackey or Derek Lowe deal. Deals so bad that in one case the team who signed him had to eat money to make him go away and in the other two the teams couldn’t make them go away even if they tried.
Know what? Scott Boras is not dumb. He may be the smartest agent in baseball history. He’s certainly the most successful. He has to know just how crazy that sounds. In fact, I’m sure he does. Indeed, I can totally picture him sitting in his office, telling one of his assistants to write up the page with the A.J. Burnett comparison, after which the assistant had to stop him and say “Scott, really?”
At which point Boras probably sat back, smiled and said “You know, even I get bored sometimes. I just wanna see if I can do it.”
And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he does.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)