Jan 3, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Jon Heyman writes about Edwin Jackson today, and the market his agent — Scott Boras — is trying to create for him. This passage is great fun:
Jackson is believed to be looking for a deal that pays him in the $15-to-17-million range annually. Agent Scott Boras has compared Jackson to C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, John Lackey, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe in his book touting Jackson.
Let me get this straight: Scott Boras is using Lackey, Burnett and Lowe — three the most regrettable free agent signings in recent years — as comps for Edwin Jackson. He is, in effect, telling baseball teams that Edwin Jackson can be just what those guys are, so he should be paid as such. He wants them to willingly sign the next A.J. Burnett, John Lackey or Derek Lowe deal. Deals so bad that in one case the team who signed him had to eat money to make him go away and in the other two the teams couldn’t make them go away even if they tried.
Know what? Scott Boras is not dumb. He may be the smartest agent in baseball history. He’s certainly the most successful. He has to know just how crazy that sounds. In fact, I’m sure he does. Indeed, I can totally picture him sitting in his office, telling one of his assistants to write up the page with the A.J. Burnett comparison, after which the assistant had to stop him and say “Scott, really?”
At which point Boras probably sat back, smiled and said “You know, even I get bored sometimes. I just wanna see if I can do it.”
And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he does.
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 0
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M