Say what you want about him, but Scott Boras has got guts

Jan 3, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

Scott Boras

Jon Heyman writes about Edwin Jackson today, and the market his agent — Scott Boras — is trying to create for him.  This passage is great fun:

Jackson is believed to be looking for a deal that pays him in the $15-to-17-million range annually. Agent Scott Boras has compared Jackson to C.J. WilsonMark BuehrleJohn LackeyA.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe in his book touting Jackson.

Let me get this straight: Scott Boras is using Lackey, Burnett and Lowe — three the most regrettable free agent signings in recent years — as comps for Edwin Jackson. He is, in effect, telling baseball teams that Edwin Jackson can be just what those guys are, so he should be paid as such. He wants them to willingly sign the next A.J. Burnett, John Lackey or Derek Lowe deal. Deals so bad that in one case the team who signed him had to eat money to make him go away and in the other two the teams couldn’t make them go away even if they tried.

Know what? Scott Boras is not dumb. He may be the smartest agent in baseball history. He’s certainly the most successful. He has to know just how crazy that sounds.  In fact, I’m sure he does. Indeed, I can totally picture him sitting in his office, telling one of his assistants to write up the page with the A.J. Burnett comparison, after which the assistant had to stop him and say “Scott, really?”

At which point Boras probably sat back, smiled and said “You know, even I get bored sometimes. I just wanna see if I can do it.”

And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he does.

1. baldeagle22 - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

He baited the Phillies into giving Papelbon $50 million over 4 years by setting the market for Madson at $44 million, so I guess this could be true?

• vanmorrissey - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Yep. Thought I had read 5 year, $60 million, so he throws out an outlandish figure, they’ll come down and settle for the $12 million/year. Egods, and someone will sign him for it when after all those innings, he’ll blow out the elbow or shoulder during the course of the contract.

• JBerardi - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

“It’s morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.” – W. C. Fields

• Jonny 5 - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Actually from past experience the Phillies believe that good closers are worth 12 M+ per season. They paid Lidge 12 M per to basically stink at that role.

• mojosmagic - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Papelbon’s past as a closer was at or near the best in the game for many years and that was in the American league. Madson has a half a season track record as a closer. I think Amaro knows a little more the a Baldeagle. LOL.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

How does a GM argue that Jackson deserves less than Burnett, Lackey, Lowe etc?

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

By arguing that those guys never deserved that much money in the first place!!!

3. marshmallowsnake - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I think Sam and Seth Levinson deserve more credit here… Madson had not signed when Papelbon got his contract… and still has not, right?

• jwbiii - Jan 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The Levinsons also put large books together for their clients.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Sure, guts…we’ll call it that.

5. JBerardi - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I don’t see what’s so crazy about this. I’m sure the whole point of the thing is that Jackson compares favorably to Lowe, Burnett, etc.

6. APBA Guy - Jan 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, the thing I like about Boras is that in doing these deals he exposes GM’s and owners as not the smartest guys in the room that they often believe themselves to be.

7. mgflolox - Jan 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

If he really wanted a challenge, he should have included Barry Zito in his comps.

8. isujames - Jan 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

i wouldnt give that guy no more than 6 mill/year.He has only proven to be a guy that can go from team to team,blend in,and kill some innings.thats it

9. pisano - Jan 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Of the pitchers Boras compared Jackson to, Buehrle is the only sure innings eater and a solid starter, Wilson is solid, but the other three aren’t worth a shit.

10. stex52 - Jan 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I can’t say it better than Jberardi. Let’s see who ends up the sucker.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I predict the Washington Bor-asses will sign both Jackson and Fielder.

12. mojosmagic - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I think GM’s have finally caught on that Boras is a con artist and if you deal with him you will overpay. There is however that sucker owner in Washington.

13. foreverchipper10 - Jan 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Do, do, do, do you have it GUTS!

Three legends off to Cooperstown