Jan 3, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The Yankees and Japanese infielder Hiroyuki Nakajima have until Friday at 5 p.m. ET to agree on a contract, but Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger was told by “a person with knowledge of the situation” that a deal is unlikely.
The Bombers were given a 30-day exclusive negotiating window with Nakajima last month after submitting a $2 million bid through the posting process.
While the deadline is technically Friday, a deal would likely need to get done sooner because Nakajima would also have to pass a physical. Consistent with what we’ve heard all along, the Yankees view the 29-year-old strictly as a backup player and intend to compensate him as such. No word on the current terms being discussed, but Jack Curry of YES Network reported earlier today that a deal is unlikely to happen unless Nakajima is willing to accept a one-year contract.
Nakajima batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases last season with the Seibu Lions. He is a .302 career hitter in Nippon Professional Baseball. If the current reports are accurate, it looks like he’ll be playing there again in 2012.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)