Aubrey Huff is in the best shape of his life

Jan 4, 2012, 8:20 AM EST

San Francisco Giants v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

The Giants called out Aubrey Huff after his miserable 2011 season was over, saying that their big money first baseman was out of shape.  Huff has responded thusly:

“I think I’m preparing a lot better this offseason as far as Pilates. I’m feeling physically better this year. I know I’m making a lot of money to go out and get it done, and last year I didn’t do it” … Huff bragged about how good he looked during a TV show taping today, saying, “My body is ripped.”

So if Brandon Belt and Brett Pill don’t get much playing time in 2012, you can blame both Bruce Bochy and pilates.

1. jfreedo - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Good to hear. Fat guys never look good in thongs.

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Imagine Prince Fielder in a Speedo.

• bigdicktater - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That’s why I threw all the mirrors out.

2. lessick - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Since 2004, he has had interesting even year/odd year splits:

OPS+
    Even years (’04 – ’10): 124, 108, 137, 142
    Odd years (’05 – ’11): 98, 103, 81, 90

Seems like someone who relaxes in the offseason after a good year and works hard after a disappointing one.

• Bryz - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

FanGraphs had a post where they split up Aubrey Huff’s years into 2nd half of 1st season, 1st half of 2nd season; 2nd half of 2nd season, 1st half of 3rd season; etc. and this happened to make his statistics look far more even in the context of a full year’s worth of games. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/seasons-are-arbitrary-endpoints/

• lessick - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Interesting analysis and sure, the results can be explained by fluctuation and dumb luck. However, the Fangraphs midpoint to midpoint analysis does not prove or disprove anything either.

Let’s start with a null hypothesis: Aubrey Huff does alternate annually between good seasons and bad seasons.

The numbers that I posted support this hypothesis circumstantially but do not prove that the hypothesis is true or that it will continue. It simply shows what happened and there may be no other explanation beyond luck.

To me, however, the FanGraphs analysis proves even less. Suppose the above hypothesis is correct. Any midpoint of any season to any midpoint of the following season should bring together half of one good year and half of one bad year. That should average out to mediocre years every time. Of course his year to year stats would be consistent!

I agree somewhat that season endpoints are arbitrary, but I would argue that they are less arbitrary than midseason endpoints. There are several months that players can use to rest, to improve stamina, to build strength or to allow injuries to heal. Players can begin one season in a different physical condition than the beginning of the previous year or the end of a previous year.

Is Huff’s workout routine better in alternating years? I don’t know but I’m very curious as to whether the training pays off and he bounces back again.

• stex52 - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Wow! Even for some of the slackers I’ve seen hanging around MLB lately, that’s bad. I would think he would have more of a conscience about taking people’s money to do that.

He had a cup of coffee with the Astros a while back. Didn’t impress me for the money he wanted. Guess we didn’t catch a year where he was trying.

3. theonlynolan - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

You can blame Bochy all you want but I will not sit idly by and let you bad mouth pilates. I simply won’t allow it.

4. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

If he were serious about improving his workout, he would have started taking Tae-Bo or Thigh Master. Then he would be really ripped.

• phillyphreak - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Maybe he could also work in the Chuck Norris Total Gym.

5. uyf1950 - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Can spring training be far off when all these players are “in the best shape of their lives”?

6. Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Was that Pontius Pilates? Huff is lucky the Giants didn’t wash their hands of him.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

No, it was Stone Temple Pilates

• bravojawja - Jan 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I guess he had a bad year because he spent too much time as Pilates of the Caribbean?

• thekcubrats - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

now if only we can keep Panda off that piep-lates regimen…

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

So far, not one mention of Biggeth Dicketh. That’s good. Let’s hope no one will be that obvious.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Because he’s not my effing messiah

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

But do you follow the sandal or the gourd?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It’s a shame the Seattle Pilates are no longer a team. I heard they had some stud prospect named Lou Piniella.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Don’t be sad. Many a prospect has played for the Anchorage Glacier Pilates. Including Randy Johnson & Mark McGwire.

7. yankeesfanlen - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I bet he does pilates on a daily routine for a minute and a huff.

8. hushbrother - Jan 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Aubrey’s had a nice career, but any team going into 2012 with him as their everyday 1b can probably forget about contending.

9. hcf95688 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Just throwing this out there: I, for one, am not in the best shape of my life.

• Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You get no headlines, then.

10. ccmf69 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“My body is ripped.”…the Giants and their fans are “ripped”…off…oooo, weak grounder to second…I’ve seen my fill of this clown, and I watch every single Giants’ game.

11. jckid21 - Jan 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Huff credits the 30 minute Richard Simmon’s Rusty Trombone Routine with his dramatic change in physique

12. motherscratcher23 - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Craig – You must do this: Now that we’re in the new year it’s only 6 weeks or so until pitchers and catchers report, the “So-and-so is in the best shape of his life/career” articles will be ramping up exponentially as opening day slowly approaches.

We need…no…we demand a running list. And there is absolutely nobody be more omnipotent over the deluge of baseball writing than you Craig. You’re really the only one who CAN do it.

I’ll start it…

Best Shape of his Life
    1. Aubrey Huff
    10.

And now it’s up to you.

13. westcoastredbird - Jan 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM

That’s what Kung Fu Panda said last year. Maybe dude is working out with Kung Fu Panda and his trainer this off season.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester