Jan 4, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
If you had planned on spending a billion bucks but didn’t have time to get the paperwork together until after January 13, don’t worry: you have ten more days to put a bid in on the Dodgers:
The Dodgers have extended the deadline by which prospective buyers must submit their opening bids for the team. Bids now are due Jan. 23. The deadline was delayed 10 days to accommodate the “substantial interest of potential bidders,” Dodgers spokesman Robert Siegfried said.
If they were that interested you’d think they’d make a point to hit the deadline, but what do I know? Despite Siegfried’s denial, it seems quite plausible that the delay is to see what happens with the litigation going on right now over whether Frank McCourt can sell the Dodgers’ media rights off with the team or if the new owners have to wait until the Fox deal expires. There’s a hearing on that on January 12. I haven’t written much about that because it’s really boring, by the way. All I care about when it comes to the Dodgers and TV is whether Vin Scully is broadcasting the game.
As of now the deadline for McCourt to pick a winner is still April 1 and the deadline for the sale to be finalized is still April 30. Hold tight until then, Dodgers fans.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 247
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)