Jan 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
We now know what Fernando Rodney has apparently known for over a week: he has a deal with the Tampa Bay Rays. Per Enrique Rojas of ESPN, it’s for $1.75M in 2012 with a $2.5M team option for 2013. If the option is not exercised, it’ll be a $250K buyout.
As D.J. mentioned last night, Rodney is basically the Dominican God of Walks. He has a 4.29 ERA and 87 career saves with a walk rate of 4.9 BB/9, which is not exactly what you like to see late in games. Just ask Tigers and Angles fans. Oh wait, you can’t. Because Rodney gave them all coronaries!
Ah, sorry. Rodney walks a tightrope. He has his uses, though. And the Rays will probably use him as a setup guy.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)