Fernando Rodney and the Rays have come to terms

Jan 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT

rodney pose getty wide Getty Images

We now know what Fernando Rodney has apparently known for over a week: he has a deal with the Tampa Bay Rays. Per Enrique Rojas of ESPN, it’s for  $1.75M in 2012 with a $2.5M team option for 2013. If the option is not exercised, it’ll be a $250K buyout.

As D.J. mentioned last night, Rodney is basically the Dominican God of Walks.  He has a 4.29 ERA and 87 career saves with a walk rate of 4.9 BB/9, which is not exactly what you like to see late in games. Just ask Tigers and Angles fans. Oh wait, you can’t. Because Rodney gave them all coronaries!

Ah, sorry. Rodney walks a tightrope. He has his uses, though. And the Rays will probably use him as a setup guy.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The only thing I see coming to terms on here is the Rays’ limited payroll, signing a guy who batters thank for their OBP boosts.

2. Ari Collins - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

“Fernando Rodney and the Rays have come to terms” with… their mediocrity?

I kid, I kid.

The Rays are pretty good.

3. hep3 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I guess Mike Scioscia and his former bench coach, Joe Maddon, don’t talk much anymore. After Rodney ripped Scioscia, I would think that would raise a flag for Maddon and the Rays. Although, Maddon did do wonders for Casey Kotchmann; probably by just letting him platoon and leaving him alone.

• cur68 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

hep, I would suggest that Mike Soscia is lousy with his pitching and catching staff. I’m prepared to wait and see, and I’ll be all lined up to admit it if I’m wrong, but Rodney throwing to Mathis is not the same as Rodney throwing to Napoli. I think, if you checked with the Ranger’s pitchers, they’d say something like “Napoli’s a pretty good catcher”. Lets see how Fernando Rodeny does with a catcher not named “Mathis”, eh? Lets see how he does once he falls into the (Que twilight zone music) Molina Hegemony…

4. philliesblow - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

New entry song from the bullpen.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Now we all wait for the Fangraphs article about how Rodney is really just as good as (insert excellent reliever here) based on a handful of more advanced stats. Just like they did with Farnsworth last year. If the Rays did it, it must be good.

• Bryz - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I can’t see FanGraphs lauding this signing. He walks too many hitters.

• Ari Collins - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You mean the Farnsworth who had a 2.18 ERA last year?

There are legitimate criticisms of FG, but this isn’t one of them. They were right about Farnsworth, and I doubt they’d laud the Rodney signing, considering he hasn’t had an xFIP below 4 since 2007 and had a 5.09 mark last year.

6. markcycy - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

i heard that he has to wear his hat straight not sideways as part of the agreement

Three legends off to Cooperstown