Jan 4, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
The other: Stephanie Wilka, the team’s new coordinator of amateur scouting. But get how he describes Wilka in his article:
Wilka, a former cheerleader at Harvard, has worked in community relations with the Dodgers and Red Sox. She earned a law degree from Pepperdine and passed the California bar exam last July, according to the Astros’ release.
Harvard educated lawyer with major market MLB experience who is going to be in charge of fixing what may be the Astros’ biggest problem and she gets described as “a former cheerleader?” Really? Wow, that’s special.
Look, I don’t have a hair-trigger with this sort of thing. And I doubt McNeal is pushing some agenda here. Maybe he is just lazily repeating something he Googled about her or maybe it was in the Astros’ press release. But the fact that McNeal described the Mejdal hiring in rather mocking terms suggests to me that he was looking to mock the Wilka hiring somehow too and settled on this cheerleader comment. Whatever his intention, he comes off as sexist.
Unless of course McNeal typically researches the undergraduate extracurricular activities of male front office hires and throws them out there too. But I just sort of doubt he does.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)