Joe Torre resigns from his MLB post to join in a bid on the Dodgers

Jan 4, 2012, 10:22 AM EST

Joe Torre AP

Major League Baseball just announced that Joe Torre is resigning from his post as Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations, effective immediately, to explore opportunities with a group that will pursue ownership of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He’s had the job since last February. In that time he has dealt with umpires, replay and discipline for on-the-field stuff.  For now the job will be filled on an interim basis by MLB Senior Vice Presidents Joe Garagiola, Jr., Kim Ng and Peter Woodfork.  A permanent replacement will be found later.

If baseball is smart they’d give the job to Kim Ng full time because someone needs to break up the boys club. But if they don’t do that, the permanent replacement has to be Tony La Russa, right?  I have no idea how he’d do in the job, but on a selfish basis I think he’d be interesting.  Think about it: if there was a beanball war, La Russa would probably suspend the pitchers who did not retaliate.  There would be fines to any manager who didn’t change pitchers three times in an inning to gain a nearly-non-existent platoon advantage. What I’m saying is, Tony La Russa jokes would be able to live on, and I find that to be really important, personally speaking.

As we’ve previously mentioned, Torre has a chance to join in one of the groups looking to get in on the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers. His comment:

“I am so appreciative of the chance the Commissioner gave me to see the game from a different perspective by working for Major League Baseball, especially during such a great time for our sport.  I have made this decision because of a unique chance to join a group that plans to bid for the Dodgers.  After leaving the field, this job was an incredible experience, one that I enjoyed very much.  I want to thank the Commissioner and all of my colleagues over the last year, particularly the members of the Baseball Operations group and the Major League Umpires.”

He doesn’t identify the group in the press release, but he has been linked with several, most notably one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso.  Whichever group gets him, you have to think that Torre’s close relationship with Bud Selig and the league office would make life easier in the approval process.

UPDATE: Multiple outlets have confirmed that Torre is, in fact, joining Caruso’s bid.

1. butchhuskey - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’m curious as to how you pronounce Kim Ng’s last name. I’m not used to seeing words without vowels.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

It’s pronounced ‘ANG.’

• butchhuskey - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thanks

• hcf95688 - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Not necessarily disagreeing, but isn’t it closer to “ING”?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

You’d think so. But it really is pronounced ‘ANG.’ True story.

• cleareye1 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

‘ENG’

• jdillydawg - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“Smith”

• pjmarn6 - Jan 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Torre was manager of the Yankees when they many of the players were on steroids and never said a word about it. He deliberately closed his eyes and cashed his pay checks. He should be banned from baseball as an active participant in the scandal and not allowed to own anything related to baseball or have any relationship to any team.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Leaving a high-paying job to dish out a lot of money in hopes of landing another job…interesting philosophy. If his ownership group doesn’t win the rights to buy the team, that could be quite a dilemma.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

pffft!!! (sorry, but I like pffft’ing things lately)

Selig will undoubtedly hold the position for him until that’s all cleared up. Not to mention just having Torre on the bidding group is a leg up on the competition to begin with. Since Torre and Selig are buds. Look at the leeway given to the Wilpons. Even after they borrow money to pay themselves dividends because they’re actually in worse shape than McCourt, they still own the Mets.

• jdillydawg - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Joe Torre leaving a job compared to the common man leaving a job is a bit different. I don’t really even think Joe needs to work if he doesn’t want to. But if I had two nickels to rub together, I’d quit my job today and buy in. Life’s too short not to.

3. cur68 - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

And so, with nary a whimper, Mark Cuban’s chances of owning the Dodgers are buried under the bulk of Joe Torre.

• jdillydawg - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Nary a whimper? Mark Cuban? Can you legally put those two comments together in the same sentence?!

• cur68 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Your point, sir.

4. dodger88 - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am hoping that whomever takes over ownership hires Kim Ng as Ned Coletti’s replacement.

5. hcf95688 - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

What is it with this guy? He can’t hold a steady job.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, 14 years of managing and 18 years playing. He’s pathetic.

• hcf95688 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Obviously, my humor is lost on most people.

It was a joke, playing off of the fact that he played for three teams and then managed four teams. Geez, lighten up.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I knew you were. I had to snark ya; I’m a slut for thumbs-ups.

6. paperlions - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Wait a second.

Selig can be the acting commissioner for years while still owning a team, but Torre needs to resign just to possibly be part of a group that might bid on a team, but is by no means certain to win such a bid? …and MLB has essentially no say in who “wins” the bid…..yeah, that makes sense.

• stex52 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hey Bud? Can you spell “Conflict of Interest”?

Full disclosure: Disgruntled Houston fan here.

• paperlions - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I deal with COI all the time, but MLB and Torre in particular have no say over the sale of the dodgers, and Torre’s current position wouldn’t be a conflict unless and until he was part of an ownership group. His current position is not a conflict within the context of the bidding process.

• stex52 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Paper,

You may not have gotten my original intent. I went off-topic to rant about the whole “move the Astros to the AL” and Bud’s role. That was much more of a COI.

Wouldn’t normally have bothered to correct, but I like your input.

7. psuravens19 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Does Joe Torre bother anyone else, or is it just me?

• cleareye1 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

It only bothers me that he was a real Yankee. Add to that we have an ex-Giant as a GM, and another ex-Yankee hero as field manager, and it explains why Dodger fans are finding other things to do in the summer.

• hcf95688 - Jan 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM

A “Real Yankee”? What does that mean? He came up with the Braves, as a player, his best seasons were with the Cards. Then he finished up with the Mets.

As a manger, he was no great shakes with the Mets, won a division with the ’82 Braves and had some success w/the Cards. Once he got to the Yankees he had great managerial success, but then again, not winning with some of those NYY teams would have been akin to screwing up a wet dream.

If a “Real Yankee” is simply someone that can win with a lineup of all stars, then I agree.

• kranepool - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

no Torre bothers me on two fronts. First there is the public Joe Torre that puts on a good show in public then there is the other Joe Torre who forgets the folks that helped him when he was down after he rose to the top.

Second it was all Joe Torre who threaten the Mets when they wanted to wear first responder caps on 9-11

• jdillydawg - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

We could ask his wife, but I don’t know if she posts on here…

8. kellyb9 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I was under the impression that there was an unwritten rule against doing this.

• stex52 - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Sarcasm? If so, I like.

9. cleareye1 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Torre gives the Caruso bid real authenticity. Caruso is a hardcore Dodger fan, the kind all fans would like to see in the driver’s seat. This will be a very fun sideshow type auction among the billionaires, one that McCourt will benefit from and hopefully move far away and somehow taking the ex along too.

10. watchthethrone92 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

So what Torre? I got some mets shares on ebay for $5. Big deal…

11. Old Gator - Jan 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Joe Torre won’t be missed in his recent capacity. He was a huge disappointment to everyone but his puppeteers in Bud Light’s office – a flannelmouthed, doubletalking shill for the status quo. Not that his replacement is likely to be any different but, frankly, good riddance.

12. tuftsb - Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

And MLB passed over Frank Robinson for the job when they hired Torre last year. Bad move!

13. buffalomafia - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I thought Torre was next MLB Commisioner

14. jckid21 - Jan 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Somewhere between heaven and most likely hell “The Boss” is saying to Billy Martin, “Torre never amounted to anything without my checkbook”

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5992)