Jan 4, 2012, 11:48 AM EST
Last month the Marlins were said to be looking at Joe Saunders to fill out their rotation and agent Scott Boras is still trying to find Edwin Jackson a lucrative new home, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that Miami “has little to no interest” in either free agent starter.
However, according to Frisaro the Marlins would like to add a veteran starter to the rotation alongside Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Ricky Nolasco. He suggests Matt Garza as their ideal target, but it’s unclear if the Marlins are willing to pay the Cubs’ substantial asking price.
If they fail to make another move Chris Volstad is the current fifth starter, but there’s been speculation about him being trade bait all offseason and clearly the Marlins would be willing to part with the 25-year-old right-hander to make room for Garza or another high-profile veteran. Miami has thrown around money this offseason, but acquiring Garza would take prospects rather than cash and the Marlins’ farm system isn’t elite.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)