Jan 4, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Last month the Marlins were said to be looking at Joe Saunders to fill out their rotation and agent Scott Boras is still trying to find Edwin Jackson a lucrative new home, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that Miami “has little to no interest” in either free agent starter.
However, according to Frisaro the Marlins would like to add a veteran starter to the rotation alongside Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Ricky Nolasco. He suggests Matt Garza as their ideal target, but it’s unclear if the Marlins are willing to pay the Cubs’ substantial asking price.
If they fail to make another move Chris Volstad is the current fifth starter, but there’s been speculation about him being trade bait all offseason and clearly the Marlins would be willing to part with the 25-year-old right-hander to make room for Garza or another high-profile veteran. Miami has thrown around money this offseason, but acquiring Garza would take prospects rather than cash and the Marlins’ farm system isn’t elite.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)