Jan 4, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
A couple of times over the past couple of weeks we’ve heard reports that the Tigers were willing to trade top prospect Jacob Turner for a veteran starter. Reports like this one from Buster Olney last week:
Tigers have made it known to other teams that they are willing to trade Jacob Turner in a deal for the right pitcher.
But that’s not true says GM Dave Dombrowski. He told Lynn Henning today that they have no plans to trade Turner at all. And that the only time the matter was even discussed was when the Athletics mentioned his name in talks about Gio Gonzalez. Dombrowski said that was not gonna happen. And now there are no talks involving Turner at all.
On the one hand this should make Tigers fans happy, because the kid is good. On the other hand, we all learned recently that you gotta take what GMs say this time of year with a grain of salt. Like, a grain this big.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)