Jan 4, 2012, 1:53 PM EST
A couple of times over the past couple of weeks we’ve heard reports that the Tigers were willing to trade top prospect Jacob Turner for a veteran starter. Reports like this one from Buster Olney last week:
Tigers have made it known to other teams that they are willing to trade Jacob Turner in a deal for the right pitcher.
But that’s not true says GM Dave Dombrowski. He told Lynn Henning today that they have no plans to trade Turner at all. And that the only time the matter was even discussed was when the Athletics mentioned his name in talks about Gio Gonzalez. Dombrowski said that was not gonna happen. And now there are no talks involving Turner at all.
On the one hand this should make Tigers fans happy, because the kid is good. On the other hand, we all learned recently that you gotta take what GMs say this time of year with a grain of salt. Like, a grain this big.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)