Jan 4, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
A couple of times over the past couple of weeks we’ve heard reports that the Tigers were willing to trade top prospect Jacob Turner for a veteran starter. Reports like this one from Buster Olney last week:
Tigers have made it known to other teams that they are willing to trade Jacob Turner in a deal for the right pitcher.
But that’s not true says GM Dave Dombrowski. He told Lynn Henning today that they have no plans to trade Turner at all. And that the only time the matter was even discussed was when the Athletics mentioned his name in talks about Gio Gonzalez. Dombrowski said that was not gonna happen. And now there are no talks involving Turner at all.
On the one hand this should make Tigers fans happy, because the kid is good. On the other hand, we all learned recently that you gotta take what GMs say this time of year with a grain of salt. Like, a grain this big.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)