Jan 5, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez is predictably still looking for work after MLB reduced his suspension from 100 games to 50 games and Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that he plans to hold a workout for MLB teams later this month.
Last offseason Ramirez signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Rays, only to retire after five games when his 100-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs was announced.
Considering how limited his market was last winter and the fact that he hasn’t played since April it’s tough to imagine Ramirez getting a big-league deal at age 40, and at this point he may have a hard time convincing a team he’s worth a minor-league deal.
Ramirez’s last full season was 2010 and he hit .298 with 19 homers and a .949 OPS in 104 games for the Dodgers and White Sox. Under normal circumstances that would be enough to make him worth a low-cost flier, even at age 40, but because it’s Ramirez the over/under for teams attending his workout is probably around 2.5 (depending on how many scouts in the area are curious and/or bored that day).
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)