Jan 5, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
Mark Trumbo‘s season ended a week early because of a stress fracture in his right foot and the Rookie of the Year runner-up’s recovery timetable has been pushed back for the second time.
Trumbo was initially hoping to be recovered by now, but in November doctors added a month to his timetable and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he may not be cleared for baseball activities until late February.
Not only does that put his status for the beginning of spring training in doubt, it makes a potential move to third base even more unlikely than before. Or as Trumbo put it: “I don’t think I had a complete picture of the extent of the injury when we first talked about this in late September.”
Albert Pujols‘ arrival and Kendrys Morales‘ potential return gives the Angels a logjam of first basemen and corner outfielders, leading to talk that Trumbo could see some action at third base. However, he’s never played even an inning at third base in the majors or minors and now he’s got a bum foot. At-bats are going to be hard to come by in the Angels’ lineup and it wouldn’t be surprising if they lessened the logjam with a trade.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)