Jan 5, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
Mark Trumbo‘s season ended a week early because of a stress fracture in his right foot and the Rookie of the Year runner-up’s recovery timetable has been pushed back for the second time.
Trumbo was initially hoping to be recovered by now, but in November doctors added a month to his timetable and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he may not be cleared for baseball activities until late February.
Not only does that put his status for the beginning of spring training in doubt, it makes a potential move to third base even more unlikely than before. Or as Trumbo put it: “I don’t think I had a complete picture of the extent of the injury when we first talked about this in late September.”
Albert Pujols‘ arrival and Kendrys Morales‘ potential return gives the Angels a logjam of first basemen and corner outfielders, leading to talk that Trumbo could see some action at third base. However, he’s never played even an inning at third base in the majors or minors and now he’s got a bum foot. At-bats are going to be hard to come by in the Angels’ lineup and it wouldn’t be surprising if they lessened the logjam with a trade.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)