Jan 5, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
Mark Trumbo‘s season ended a week early because of a stress fracture in his right foot and the Rookie of the Year runner-up’s recovery timetable has been pushed back for the second time.
Trumbo was initially hoping to be recovered by now, but in November doctors added a month to his timetable and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he may not be cleared for baseball activities until late February.
Not only does that put his status for the beginning of spring training in doubt, it makes a potential move to third base even more unlikely than before. Or as Trumbo put it: “I don’t think I had a complete picture of the extent of the injury when we first talked about this in late September.”
Albert Pujols‘ arrival and Kendrys Morales‘ potential return gives the Angels a logjam of first basemen and corner outfielders, leading to talk that Trumbo could see some action at third base. However, he’s never played even an inning at third base in the majors or minors and now he’s got a bum foot. At-bats are going to be hard to come by in the Angels’ lineup and it wouldn’t be surprising if they lessened the logjam with a trade.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 23
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)