Jan 5, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that Washington Nationals minor leaguer Zechry Zinicola has received a 50-game suspension. Not PEDs, though. His suspension comes after a second violation of “a drug of abuse” pursuant to the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Two things:
1. I vaguely remember Zinicola pitching for the Columbus Clippers a few years ago during the two-year period the Clippers were a Nationals affiliate. Note: everyone in Columbus has forgotten that the Clippers were a Nationals affiliate. It’s like it never happened. Sometimes I think I dreamed it;
2. I really wish they’d tell us what the “drugs of abuse” in question are for these things. Because depending on what the drug is, these suspensions could either be tragic or actually somewhat interesting. I mean, it’s never good to be on drugs, but it would tell us something very different about Zinicola if he was taking cocaine, for example, or if he was found in an opium den with some 19th century Chinese railroad workers down by the docks or something.
Anyway, Zinicola has an ERA of 4.05 in 293 minor league innings. So while this suspension is bad for him, it’s not exactly going to impact the Nats’ plans, I wouldn’t guess.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?