Jan 5, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Well, I guess it depends on the expression he has at the time. Here’s Alex Rodriguez — caught at the Lakers-Rockets game the other night — talking to Cindy Crawford of all people. First up: the nerd look:
But then when he’s not scrunching his face up all silly he looks less nerdy and more hipstery:
As the proud owner of hipster glasses myself, I feel like I can speak with at least a little authority on the matter. If you’re going to go with such a look, you don’t want to suffer by comparison. I wear kinda nerdy glasses, so all I need to do to not be totally silly (I’ll always look a little silly) is live up to at least one nerd archetype like Michael Douglas in “Falling Down” or something. I’m old, white and angry, so it’s not too hard.
But that’s A-Rod’s central problem: he really can’t pull it off. Those, as far as I can tell, are Persol glasses. Marcello Mastroianni wore Persols in “La Dolce Vita.” Steve McQueen wore them in a couple movies.
Mr. Rodrigez: I watched Mastroianni and McQueen. I knew Mastroianni and McQueen. I’d like to think Mastroianni and McQueen would be friends of mine. Mr. Rodriguez, you’re no Mastroianni and McQueen.
(Photos by Reuters)
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 24
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 51
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)