Jan 5, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Well, I guess it depends on the expression he has at the time. Here’s Alex Rodriguez — caught at the Lakers-Rockets game the other night — talking to Cindy Crawford of all people. First up: the nerd look:
But then when he’s not scrunching his face up all silly he looks less nerdy and more hipstery:
As the proud owner of hipster glasses myself, I feel like I can speak with at least a little authority on the matter. If you’re going to go with such a look, you don’t want to suffer by comparison. I wear kinda nerdy glasses, so all I need to do to not be totally silly (I’ll always look a little silly) is live up to at least one nerd archetype like Michael Douglas in “Falling Down” or something. I’m old, white and angry, so it’s not too hard.
But that’s A-Rod’s central problem: he really can’t pull it off. Those, as far as I can tell, are Persol glasses. Marcello Mastroianni wore Persols in “La Dolce Vita.” Steve McQueen wore them in a couple movies.
Mr. Rodrigez: I watched Mastroianni and McQueen. I knew Mastroianni and McQueen. I’d like to think Mastroianni and McQueen would be friends of mine. Mr. Rodriguez, you’re no Mastroianni and McQueen.
(Photos by Reuters)
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 5
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (78)