Rangers hire Josh Hamilton’s father-in-law as the outfielder’s new accountability partner

Jan 5, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT

hamilton getty Getty Images

From Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com:

The Rangers have hired Josh Hamilton‘s father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, as the 2010 AL MVP’s new accountability partner. Chadwick will handle part of the role that Johnny Narron vacated when he became hitting coach of the Milwaukee Brewers this offseason.

Chadwick will travel on the road with the Rangers, watching over Hamilton’s daily activities and providing him a steady source of encouragement as the 30-year-old outfielder continues his battle with addiction.

It may seem like a strange role for a father-in-law, but the relationship between the two has obviously been anything but normal and Chadwick happens to have professional experience in the field of counselling.

Hamilton posted a .298/.346/.536 batting line with 25 home runs and 94 RBI in 121 games last season for the American League champion Rangers. He’s currently scheduled to become a free agent next winter.

1. dondada10 - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I’m not a Rangers fan, but I root for Josh Hamilton. I know what addiction is, and to see somebody overcome it in such a way is great to see.

2. ditka96 - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I need one of these too

3. mirmz - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Hamilton’s new Accountabilibuddy

• hammyofdoom - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Before I even clicked on the story that was my first thought exactly haha

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

And in other baseball news, the Toronto Blue Jays have just announced that they have hired Tony Rasmus to be Colby Rasums’ accountabilitydaddy.

4. motherscratcher23 - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM

And if Michael Dean is ever unavailable, they should give Butters a call. He’s not to far (Colorado) and he makes a great accountabilibuddy.

• wegonnadoitbaby - Jan 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If Butters is busy he can send his robot buddy Awesome-O, but Tweak should be ruled out as an appropriate buddy.

5. sdelmonte - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I like my father in law, but I doubt I would want to spend that much time with him.

But I have to applaud Hamilton and the Rangers for doing everything to make sure he stays clean.

6. natsattack - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Exactly what do dondada10 said. Good for him.

7. hammyofdoom - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

It’s nice to see that the people in Josh’s life care for him enough to literally follow him around across the nation to be sure that he does what is best for himself and his family, good for Josh. And since this is his father in law there is an added incentive to not slip up because there is no way in hell if he did something “bad” that it wouldn’t get back to his wife

8. shawnuel - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I, too, applaud Hamilton and his family. I think it takes great wisdom and humility to admit to needing help with this type of struggle. In today’s society, especially in the macho world of professional sports, many would see the need for accountability as a weakness. On the contrary, I feel it is a great strength. Huzzah to Josh!

9. yankeesgameday - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

My buddy, my buddy.
    Wherever I go, he goes.
    My buddy.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Take it from somebody who knows, the only way to have long lasting sobriety is to be accountable to oneself. Seriously, I worry for Josh Hamilton. Obviously I have no knowledge of Josh Hamilton’s personal life, but from afar it seems like he needs to get a sponsor and get to work on himself.

• stex52 - Jan 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I agree with you, Doc. I wish Hamilton nothing but the best, and he seems to know what he needs. But in the end we can’t always have minders. Supporters, advisors, sponsers? Yes. Minders? no.

11. randygnyc - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Shouldn’t Josh Hamilton have to pay for this, rather than the rangers? Anyway, I respect the effort it takes to overcome the disease of addiction. Glad to see Hamilton has gotten his life back together.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Small price to pay to keep their star on track. I consider it an olive branch hiring.

12. mianfr - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Honestly this is kind of stupid and, while I know addiction is a terrible and difficult thing, the number of addicts who aren’t able to have people fly around the world with them offering encouragement is probably a number very close to the total number of addicts minus Josh Hamilton.

I think if you need that kind of help, you’re still letting addiction take control of your life. This is really something he should be taking charge of himself.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Addicts have sponsors. Josh is lucky enough to have someone resembling a sponsor helping him along what is a tremendously long and arduous 162 game season. It’s a luxury, sure, but this isn’t a sign that he’s not in control; it’s a sign that he really wants to continue to be.

13. Chris K - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Does this mean I won’t get to see any new pictures of him doing bodyshots off girls in seemingly deserted pubs?

14. kellyb9 - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I’m all for protecting your investments… but what happens when Hamilton is no longer with the Rangers or is out of baseball. I mean it’s great that the team is doing everything they can to keep him clean, but what is he personally doing to make sure it stays that way when the team is no longer footing the bill.

15. eagleswineagleswin - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Grow up and have a drink already you little bitch.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Go away.

16. agelardi - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Shouldn’t paying him be the player’s responsibility?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5386)