Jan 5, 2012, 9:59 AM EST
Hairston’s role with the Mets was pretty limited last year, both by injury and by Terry Collins’ seeming reluctance to use him all that much. But he hit .235/.303/.470 with seven homers in just 145 plate appearances. That’s decent pop for a guy who can backup all three outfield positions if needed and who, in the event of an injury to a regular, won’t make life awful for anyone if he is pressed into full-time duty.
I actually figured someone else would have been interested in him. Maybe a lot of someone elses given the overall poor state of bench bats in the league these days. But good for the Mets for keeping him.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)