Jan 5, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
Hairston’s role with the Mets was pretty limited last year, both by injury and by Terry Collins’ seeming reluctance to use him all that much. But he hit .235/.303/.470 with seven homers in just 145 plate appearances. That’s decent pop for a guy who can backup all three outfield positions if needed and who, in the event of an injury to a regular, won’t make life awful for anyone if he is pressed into full-time duty.
I actually figured someone else would have been interested in him. Maybe a lot of someone elses given the overall poor state of bench bats in the league these days. But good for the Mets for keeping him.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 131
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (131)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)