The Carlos Zambrano deal is official

Jan 5, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT

zambrano fenway reuters Reuters

The trade of Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins is official. Ken Rosenthal tweets some of the details:

• Zambrano waived his no-trade clause and his $19.25 million option for 2013 that would have kicked in if he finished in top four of the Cy Young vote. He’ll be a free agent next winter;
  • He also settled grievance with the Cubs relating to his suspension for basically walking out on the team after a bad starts. He was originally suspended for 30 games without pay. He gets back 24 days of that, which amounts to $2.4 million;
  • Finally, the deal now includes $100K bonus if he wins the Comeback Player of the Year in 2012.

The suspension thing may anger some people who wanted to see Zambrano punished for walking out on his team, but that’s just what happens when you have a negotiation over a no-trade clause. If the Cubs wanted it waived, they had to give him something over and above a trip to a different city.

The Comeback Player of the Year award thing is interesting too. I wouldn’t call it crazy. As we’ve mentioned before, the dimensions of the Marlins’ new ballpark are huge.  Granted, we don’t know how a place will play until you actually play games there — the walls are short, so that may cut down on the pitcher friendliness — but if it does play big, Zambrano and any other Marlins pitcher may be able to put up misleadingly good numbers.

If that happens — and if Z can cut back on the crazy — he’d be a fine candidate for Comeback Player of the Year.

1. cur68 - Jan 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

This could be a case of 2 negatives creating a positive: Guillen’s temper + Z’s temper = a nice calm positive baseball atmosphere…ok, that’s total bullsh*t. Its gonna crazy town.

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

More likely, a case of two negatives creating a double negative.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

As a Cub fan, he drove me crazy and he needed to go. As a human being, I hope he does well in Miami. Best of luck, Carlos.

• 78mu - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m not a Cubs fan but I too hope he finds happiness in Miami.

Of course just to be safe the Marlins should make sure they have an extra Gatorade cooler ready to go when he’s pitching.

3. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’m sorry the Cubs caved on the suspension. I was hoping they’d stand their ground – till the end of September, anyway.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

They had to do what they had to do, to move on.

• El Bravo - Jan 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Gator, you literally have a new team all around: new name, new ballpark, new unis, new lineup, new infield, new staff, and new management. We need a Gator-esque couple paragraphs on how you perceive your new team will work out in 2012. Your assignment is due by the time pitchers and catchers report. Show your work, please.

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’m not ready to do that yet – first of all, since the Feesh are, apparently, going to be satisfied with this cracked crank case as their sought-after 5th starter, and with the Billygoat Banditos coughing up fifteen million smackers and buying out Krazy Karlos’ option year, they’ve got more money laying around than they expected to have. To me, this means at least one more big splash has yet to be made. I’m relieved that Gaby Sanchez will remain, but really unsure of the Hanster at third – I’d much rather see him in the outfield, with Tweeter traded for a butch third baseman – a real third baseman – with some pop in his bat. This still looks like a second place team to me, but it’s not finished yet.

• deadeyedesign23 - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I agree. The money they’re giving back to him essentially equals out to the money they were saving by sending him to Miami.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto