Jan 5, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
- Zambrano waived his no-trade clause and his $19.25 million option for 2013 that would have kicked in if he finished in top four of the Cy Young vote. He’ll be a free agent next winter;
- He also settled grievance with the Cubs relating to his suspension for basically walking out on the team after a bad starts. He was originally suspended for 30 games without pay. He gets back 24 days of that, which amounts to $2.4 million;
- Finally, the deal now includes $100K bonus if he wins the Comeback Player of the Year in 2012.
The suspension thing may anger some people who wanted to see Zambrano punished for walking out on his team, but that’s just what happens when you have a negotiation over a no-trade clause. If the Cubs wanted it waived, they had to give him something over and above a trip to a different city.
The Comeback Player of the Year award thing is interesting too. I wouldn’t call it crazy. As we’ve mentioned before, the dimensions of the Marlins’ new ballpark are huge. Granted, we don’t know how a place will play until you actually play games there — the walls are short, so that may cut down on the pitcher friendliness — but if it does play big, Zambrano and any other Marlins pitcher may be able to put up misleadingly good numbers.
If that happens — and if Z can cut back on the crazy — he’d be a fine candidate for Comeback Player of the Year.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)