Jan 5, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
- Zambrano waived his no-trade clause and his $19.25 million option for 2013 that would have kicked in if he finished in top four of the Cy Young vote. He’ll be a free agent next winter;
- He also settled grievance with the Cubs relating to his suspension for basically walking out on the team after a bad starts. He was originally suspended for 30 games without pay. He gets back 24 days of that, which amounts to $2.4 million;
- Finally, the deal now includes $100K bonus if he wins the Comeback Player of the Year in 2012.
The suspension thing may anger some people who wanted to see Zambrano punished for walking out on his team, but that’s just what happens when you have a negotiation over a no-trade clause. If the Cubs wanted it waived, they had to give him something over and above a trip to a different city.
The Comeback Player of the Year award thing is interesting too. I wouldn’t call it crazy. As we’ve mentioned before, the dimensions of the Marlins’ new ballpark are huge. Granted, we don’t know how a place will play until you actually play games there — the walls are short, so that may cut down on the pitcher friendliness — but if it does play big, Zambrano and any other Marlins pitcher may be able to put up misleadingly good numbers.
If that happens — and if Z can cut back on the crazy — he’d be a fine candidate for Comeback Player of the Year.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (117)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)