The new safety railing is up at Rangers Ballpark

Jan 5, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT

Arlington barrier

Shannon Stone tragically fell to his death on July 7 at Rangers Ballpark.  In the aftermath of that, plans were announced to create a barrier that would make it less likely that fans would fall out of the stands again.  That barrier has been built.

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News tweeted a picture from the first row of seats behind the barrier in left-center field. He says this is basically eye-level for a man of 5’10″ while sitting in the seat:

source:

That’s not great for sight lines.  Obviously that’s not the point, and of course there are many other parks who have similar sight line issues due to railings and what have you.  But if I were going to sit in the outfield seats in Texas, I’d strongly consider sitting back a few rows.

1. mute617 - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I just hope this doesn’t encourage people to lean even further out thinking they are safe with this railing

• kopy - Jan 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

How high is this railing? That’s what matters for safety, even though height from the seats is important for the view. As long as it’s above peoples’ center of gravity, I would think it should be fine. It’s hard to lean too far over a railing that comes up to your abs (or gut) or higher, unless you start jumping or standing on something (your seat?) to make yourself taller.

And it would be hard not place a lot of blame on a fan that actually does that – kind of like that dude in Arizona that stood on table to catch Home Run Derby balls.

2. mute617 - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I can’t watch Shannon’s fall without getting really upset. It’s just so tragic. I hope this does the trick, as much as anything.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Whoever disliked this is sick.

• kopy - Jan 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

No matter what you post, someone will dislike it. Even if you have a witty first post on a major (as created by the media) story: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/30/report-red-sox-pitchers-drank-beer-during-games-on-their-off-days/

• JBerardi - Jan 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Why would you watch it even once, much less multiple times?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Once to see what the hell happened, and there were 1-2 other times it was on in a room I was in – it was pretty devastating news. I don’t really remember. People have the weakness of morbid curuosity.

4. eagleswineagleswin - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I have watched it a few times. I can’t tell if he hung onto the ball after he hit the ground?

5. streatordave - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think the Wrigely Field “baskets” are better than these new railings.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet