Jan 6, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the deal is done.
6:50 PM: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Angels are close to signing Jorge Cantu. While he didn’t specify, it’s same to assume he would get a minor league deal.
Cantu signed with the Padres last winter and began the season in a platoon with Brad Hawpe at first base, but was released in June after batting just .194/.232/.285 with three homers and a .517 OPS over 155 plate appearances. He finished the year with the Rockies’ Triple-A affiliate, hitting .280/.320/.458 with five homers and a .778 OPS in 30 games.
Cantu doesn’t turn 30 until later this month and has shown an ability to hit left-handed pitching in the past, but if all goes as planned for the Angels, he’ll likely open the season in the minors.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (181)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)