Jan 6, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the deal is done.
6:50 PM: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Angels are close to signing Jorge Cantu. While he didn’t specify, it’s same to assume he would get a minor league deal.
Cantu signed with the Padres last winter and began the season in a platoon with Brad Hawpe at first base, but was released in June after batting just .194/.232/.285 with three homers and a .517 OPS over 155 plate appearances. He finished the year with the Rockies’ Triple-A affiliate, hitting .280/.320/.458 with five homers and a .778 OPS in 30 games.
Cantu doesn’t turn 30 until later this month and has shown an ability to hit left-handed pitching in the past, but if all goes as planned for the Angels, he’ll likely open the season in the minors.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 13
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)