Jan 6, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
By adding Albert Pujols to a roster already well-stocked with first basemen and corner outfielders the Angels created a logjam that seemingly pointed to a trade.
Speculation centered on Mark Trumbo, because he’s 25 years old and the Rookie of the Year runner-up, but yesterday general manager Jerry Dipoto indicated that the Angels aren’t shopping him … or anyone for that matter.
“I don’t think we’re in position to move anybody,” Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register. “In the American League, you’re able to get at-bats a number of ways–DH, the corner spots in the infield and the outfield. … Mark has an opportunity to make an impact on our club for years.”
Trumbo is also recovering from a broken foot and his timetable has already been pushed back twice, so getting maximum value for him in a trade would be tough right now anyway. Beyond that Kendrys Morales‘ health status remains uncertain two years after his broken leg, so the Angels’ logjam is more like a potential logjam if everyone is healthy.
And of course they’re still holding out some hope that Trumbo can move to third base on at least a part-time basis, which would make it a lot easier to divvy up the at-bats. However, he’s never seen any time at the position as a professional and very few people outside the Angels front office seem to think he’s capable of being anything more than significantly below average there defensively.
Once stud prospect Mike Trout is ready to stick in the majors for good and/or Morales is ready to play again it’s tough to imagine the Angels not making a move, but those issues may not be forced by Opening Day.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 14
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car