Jan 6, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
By adding Albert Pujols to a roster already well-stocked with first basemen and corner outfielders the Angels created a logjam that seemingly pointed to a trade.
Speculation centered on Mark Trumbo, because he’s 25 years old and the Rookie of the Year runner-up, but yesterday general manager Jerry Dipoto indicated that the Angels aren’t shopping him … or anyone for that matter.
“I don’t think we’re in position to move anybody,” Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register. “In the American League, you’re able to get at-bats a number of ways–DH, the corner spots in the infield and the outfield. … Mark has an opportunity to make an impact on our club for years.”
Trumbo is also recovering from a broken foot and his timetable has already been pushed back twice, so getting maximum value for him in a trade would be tough right now anyway. Beyond that Kendrys Morales‘ health status remains uncertain two years after his broken leg, so the Angels’ logjam is more like a potential logjam if everyone is healthy.
And of course they’re still holding out some hope that Trumbo can move to third base on at least a part-time basis, which would make it a lot easier to divvy up the at-bats. However, he’s never seen any time at the position as a professional and very few people outside the Angels front office seem to think he’s capable of being anything more than significantly below average there defensively.
Once stud prospect Mike Trout is ready to stick in the majors for good and/or Morales is ready to play again it’s tough to imagine the Angels not making a move, but those issues may not be forced by Opening Day.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)